• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sakura Temple Ruin

mlgt

This is my journal for a low tech 60 litre tank which I keep Sakura shrimp.
They are simply red cherries, but of a deeper red variation. I started with 6 sakuras from Germany.
Filtration is a simple internal Heto filter which boasts 400lph turnover.
Plant wise is simple vallis, crypts, mosses

This is the start
Picture084.jpg

Taken in April.

It all started with some CRS and CBS from Germany....
picture127e.jpg

One of the higher grade crs
picture130t.jpg

1 month later I added another filter and more mosses. I also added some CPD's.
little011.jpg

My thread is from LFKC - http://www.lfkc.co.uk/index.php?topic=308.0

Re: Sakura Temple

September update

60002.jpg

Some of the shrimps have mulitplied.
60003.jpg

One of the pregnant shrimps :)
60001.jpg

With the other filter removed as it was turning over around 800 lph and throwing my loss mosses all over the place.
The idea for the moss was to provide a breeding ground for the cpds. I have since removed them.

Heres a vid of them feeding.

My sakuras feeding on an algae wafer

Heres the November update
sakura005.jpg

I retied some of the leftover mosses onto slates. I replaced 1 slate of Pelia and somehow managed to retie never 6 slates of pelia from 1 batch!
moss.jpg

This is tonights photos and the pelia is now settling in.

tanks005.jpg

tanks006.jpg

tanks007.jpg

One of the reddest sakura feeding.

tanks021.jpg

Feel free to comment. I will probably add a black background to add some contrast to the plants.
I have a pot of anubias var. stardust nana which I will replant this weekend on a few pieces of lava rock and place them around the tank.

I will then retie the remaining mosses which I suspect will give me around 10 slates. However because I have the slates in A4 size. I was thinking that I could in theory slant the slates or use suckers to place them agains the background thus creating an instant moss wall.

What do you think? Anyone created a pelia moss wall before?

i like it.even the head :D .reminds me of angkor wat.

mlgt said:
What do you think? Anyone created a pelia moss wall before?
i think it will look good and shouldn't take too long the way that weed grows.

Really liking the feel of this tank, and love the Ruin Used. Suits it perfectly.

Feel free to advise on some ideas on planting etc.
What I will do this weekend is re adjust the vallis from behind the crypts and have them all on the back.
I currently have balansae there, but they were shoots from my main plant and taken a few months to settle in.

Im sure in a matter of time the balansae will grow well and start sending out shoots as well.

I dose tpn+ at 5ml each sunday and water change once every 2-3 weeks, but generally only 20% at a time. Once the shrimps population start to explode I will add 1-2 pieces of shredded almond leaf to give it a nice jungle feel.

Its a shame the mudbabies didnt settle in this tank and never sent out proper runners and the runners were always uprooted by the shrimp which meant it was hard for the established runners to settle.

Any suggestions for where I should replant the stardust? I have 1 piece of lava rock and will smash this into pieces and then tie the rhizones onto it. I think I will be able to get 3 rhizones from the plant.

As mentioned elsewhere, the tank is coming along nicely, will look even better when that carpet fills in, at the rate that plant grows shouldn't take more than a couple of months. The wall idea is good, haven't see that tried before, so would be worth a go. Keep up the good work :)

Tonight I replanted the vallis and seperated the crypts a little to give it more leg room. So from the 2 main plants I now have 4 :)

I shifted the balansae to replace the vallis and hope in a months time the plants will grow nicely.

Weekend I am going to cut some mesh into size and find a way to stick it on the back. If theres less flow the shrimps will keep the moss in check methinks :)

A few close ups :)

picture007kz.jpg

picture017t.jpg

picture014rm.jpg

Check the difference in size. Full adult vs a baby fry :)

Enjoy

:O check out those badboys!! Very nice, where did you get them? I MUST have some. Will you be selling any?

You've really managed to pull of that ruin without it looking tacky, will look even better when the jungle has grown in :)

:shifty: do I ow e you some xmas moss???

nayr88 said:
:O check out those badboys!! Very nice, where did you get them? I MUST have some. Will you be selling any?

You've really managed to pull of that ruin without it looking tacky, will look even better when the jungle has grown in :)

:shifty: do I ow e you some xmas moss???

I wont be selling any of these for some time. The colony has to reach at least 200 before I can comtemplate selling them.
Even so I have to give some to others who started my very first cherry colony off to repay back their kindness.

So a long wait Ryan :)

If you have some xmas moss that would be nice :p

Back