• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Saintly's "purple rain' added HD vid

Re: Saintly's "purple rain' ?

saintly said:
regards to lights, I place one pointing at the background and one directly over the tank. No diffuser of any kind. I firstly get the correct amount of light to shoot iso 50 f11, 1/200th. once the foreground is lit correctly, I then adjust the second strobe for the background. there's so many combos and effects that can be created just by moving the light around.
Thanks, Mark.

So I'm about 4 or 5 weeks in now. stopped the co2 a couple of weeks ago, just to see what this 'low tech' stuff is all about. I'm actually rather liking the idea. No co2, ferts dosing W/c etc etc. in fact, i've not done 1 W/C since start up. :shh:

the only thing that needs doing, is lights on....simples 😀 for 10 hours a day.

notice the one eye fish? 8) he's happy as Larry too.

anyway, stems need trimming now, most of the plants do. i suffered minor crypt melt, which is finished now. the hydracotyle is going to run me ragged I think. this stuff grows like absolute crazy.

so here it is so far. needs much more 'filling in' i guess you could call this my 'just add water' tank.

semishot-1.jpg

Thats shots incredible. Awesome composition, fish in formation, amazing colour, love the ripples. Hair dryer ahoy?

I love your photography it a totaly amazing skill :shock: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The low tech is an interesting way to go dosing NPK and trace once a week still helps (Im doing this in mine)

Regards

Ollie

I appreciate the kind words guys. 8)

regards to the 'ripple' it's just the filter turning the water over. hence why it's not a full tank shot. i didn't take the filter out.

What on earth is going on in your tank that means you can get away with 1wc?!

All that disturbance, you running a 1200lph on there or something? 😛

Garuf said:
What on earth is going on in your tank that means you can get away with 1wc?!

I'm not really sure mate. I thought the idea of low tech was no water changes at all. luck maybe.

Garuf said:
All that disturbance, you running a 1200lph on there or something? 😛

no, just the internal that's provided.

The whole tank is stock equipment, lights, filter and tank.

the substrate is uber ace!

What's the substrate? Is it the same stuff I'm getting from Planted box but in brown?

What is the tank? I quiet fancy one of them new superfish tanks they're just impossible to find in this neck of the woods.

saintly said:
So I'm about 4 or 5 weeks in now. stopped the co2 a couple of weeks ago, just to see what this 'low tech' stuff is all about. I'm actually rather liking the idea. No co2, ferts dosing W/c etc etc. in fact, i've not done 1 W/C since start up. :shh:

the only thing that needs doing, is lights on....simples 😀 for 10 hours a day.

notice the one eye fish? 8) he's happy as Larry too.

anyway, stems need trimming now, most of the plants do. i suffered minor crypt melt, which is finished now. the hydracotyle is going to run me ragged I think. this stuff grows like absolute crazy.

so here it is so far. needs much more 'filling in' i guess you could call this my 'just add water' tank.

good isn't it :thumbup: I haven't done a water change since the week before christmas :thumbup:

aaronnorth said:
good isn't it :thumbup: I haven't done a water change since the week before christmas :thumbup:

it is mate, but i do miss the hard work. I was contemplating low tech in the 120cm but I'm torn between low tech NA style, or high tech dutch :?

saintly said:
aaronnorth said:

it is mate, but i do miss the hard work. I was contemplating low tech in the 120cm but I'm torn between low tech NA style, or high tech dutch :?

I wasnt oo keen on the weekly water changes, once I start I am fine, but starting is the problem 🙄

ON a smaller tank though, I agree, I like the hard work that comes with it :thumbup:

A little update.

still not sure if i get to keep this. the wife says....'NO!' ! tank, and 1 tank only.

tank-1.jpg

fish-1.jpg

trimming scissors to come out me thinks.

Is it the 18w light you're using, Mark? I'm really interested as I found the 11w one a bit ropey on my 11' cube. (also I might know someone who'd like the tank 😛

Garuf said:
Is it the 18w light you're using, Mark? I'm really interested as I found the 11w one a bit ropey on my 11' cube

This is the 11w garuf. rated @ (IMO) about 8000k. wonderful little thing :thumbup:

You're preaching to the converted mate, I use two of the 18w ones on my cube and love them. Easily my favourite purchase and the best nano lamp on the market. I just wish they were easier to get hold of!

Garuf said:
You're preaching to the converted mate, I use two of the 18w ones on my cube and love them. Easily my favourite purchase and the best nano lamp on the market. I just wish they were easier to get hold of!
Agreed. If they're the Aquadistri units I had an 18w one over my old nano. Awesome light!

Garuf said:
They're not hard to get hold of, but they are pricey with a retail @ £25 for 11w and £35 for the 18w.

Back