• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round indoor pond project queries.

By the way, the green must be from them shredding all my plants to bits :lol:

Have you ever taken one out and put in a tank? Than you see the lateral color as shown on pictures taken in an aquarium. Not saying yours aren't greener than normaly dislayed, i' take your word for it.. But a lot of fish have this darker dorsal camouflage if viewed from above. An example is our common minnow, if viewed in an aqaurium or in your hands if caught they are completely shiny silver colored maybe with a slight dorsal golden tone. But viewed through the surface from above they are extremely dark green/brown and even difficult to detirmine what specific kind of minnow you're actualy looking at.

Have you ever taken one out and put in a tank? Than you see the lateral color as shown on pictures taken in an aquarium. Not saying yours aren't greener than normaly dislayed, i' take your word for it.. But a lot of fish have this darker dorsal camouflage if viewed from above. An example is our common minnow, if viewed in an aqaurium or in your hands if caught they are completely shiny silver colored maybe with a slight dorsal golden tone. But viewed through the surface from above they are extremely dark green/brown and even difficult to detirmine what specific kind of minnow you're actualy looking at.

You mean these common minnows below. I posted two videos from youtube below.The only difference I see in the colour is due to the pond video "top view" not having any light in. The fish look exactly the same colour. If I take a video in my pond with limited light, you'll barely recognise the clown loaches, never mind any other fish.

Viewed from above:

Viewed from the side:

You mean these common minnows below.

I meant Minnows in general, i actualy didn't know that common minnow was a common name in English for a particular minnow spp. :rolleyes:.
Like this Minnow spp. i used to cacth as a kid..
Scardinius_erythropthalmus_2009_G1-300x124.jpg

If you see them from above on a dark substrate then they look like little dark unidentifiable terpodo's swimming by. And you realy need to catch one to determine what it is.

But you see with these minnows from your post show a bit of the same, that the back looks significantly darker if viewed from above. And a lot of fish have this.

In my tank i have Trichopsis pumila, when viewed from the side they are extremelly colorfull, with the blue eyes and blue and red markings etc. But i noticed the day a bought them i did put them from the bag first into a white bucket. And viewed from above the look dull greenish grey even the eye doesn't show. If i would have taken a black bucket they would be realy hard to spot.

I guess it's a camoe feature for fish that (occasinaly) use the top water layers.

Last edited:
But i noticed the day a bought them i did put them from the bag first into a white bucket. And viewed from above the look dull greenish grey even the eye doesn't show.

You can't compare newly bought fish colours to fish that have established themselves and are given the chance to display full colour. The denison barbs in the shop are almost colourless, you can just about make some red here and there, and the yellow on the tails. This doesn't mean that's their final colour. Minnows of the "other" common type are really colourful fish when they establish themselves and the conditions are suitable. I am not sure why you're saying they're "silver"

And also, although my tank looks like a bucket :lol: , the viewing angle is quite wide. I don't claim mine are darker from above. In fact the green isn't dark at all. Its bright green. You can clearly see how realistic is the colour of the rest of the fish, especially the SAEs, which are identical to what you'd normally see in anyone's tank....My tank is well illuminated as well. Its not like looking into a dark bucket...I got my partner to check out the fish, who barely ever looks at them, and the consensus is they look green any angle you view them from in reality. The barbs move all the time and I can clearly see them from the side all the time. The colour remains green.

There's the same barbs one year ago, all grey on top when they were younger. It is hard to make out which is a denison barb and which a SAE, they're all very grey. The denison barbs just have slightly more colourful fins at that stage. I only had them for about 3 months or so. There's no green to be seen at that stage. See the 2nd video close up from 7th Jan 2017.

Nice pictures mort, more like the realistic colour I see of mine.

However, the damn viewing angle in my pond. Mine sometimes look like clown loaches

Those pics were just taken from Google. Unfortunately I've never had the space to keep denisons at home only when I worked at a lfs. That was just juvenile solid silver ones but I've seen mature specimens exhibiting the green colour in a 4m or so river system.

Hi all,
I've seen mature specimens exhibiting the green colour in a 4m or so river system.
It mentions them developing a "bluish sheen" before spawning in the <"SeriouslyFish"> profile, which I think is your green back.
A more detailed report was published in the German magazine Aqualog in 2005. In this case a group of 15 adults spawned in soft, acidic water (gH 2-3/pH 5.7), depositing their eggs in a clump of Java moss (Taxiphylum barbieri). Apparently several of the adults exhibited a colour change with the dorsal surface becoming bluish, and the event appeared to be triggered by a gradual lowering of the pH via addition of driftwood.

Chester Zoo Aquarium in England have also reported successful breeding, and their theory is that a large group is needed as spawning is hypothesised to occur en masse.
cheers Darrel

Thanks guys. Yes, that's interesting and I only came across that info the other day myself. I've read that it is very rare for denison barbs to breed in aquariums and my water is hard, so no chance of that is my guess but they're ready perhaps :)

Sometimes, one of the barbs would really "shine" in extremely striking colours while "bullying" the others away from a spot...It didn't look like any spawning behaviour I've seen, more like bullying the other fish but the barb doing it would be noticeably more colourful with the green and red getting particularly bright and pronounced. The behaviour is sort of like showing off dominance to the others. It would last for a while, then all of them would start swimming happily together again. I am still puzzled about the "clown loach" colour change. It was such an extreme colour change and the barb went back to completely normal colour afterwards, taking a few months in the process...

I just found someone else's video with denison barbs displaying the green coloration. It is not as good as mine have it :lol: but very close, specifically one of the barbs. There's one pale barb in the video as well which doesn't count :)

Well, today I bit the bullet and I now have 28 more harlequin rasboras. Fingers crossed as they went straight into the tank. The shop owner said he's had them since Christmas and they were dong very well and I shouldn't have any problems.....:) They are small, about 1/3rd the size of my older harlequin rasboras but the lot started swimming together immediately :) They sort of separated in two schools and each school had a few of my older/larger rasboras which look humongous amongst them :p

The barbs gave them a bit of a chase but ignored them after. I don't know what the clown loaches would do but they pretty much completely ignored my older rasboras from the start.

I am after dosing a de-wormer just in case because I haven't de-wormed at least one of the loaches I bought this year so It maybe a good idea.

I can't wait for the lights to turn on today to have a better look at the new additions.

I sat down last night and this morning observing for a while and right now absolutely everyone is ignoring the rasboras. There is no chasing, the bigger fish are not even looking at them. The rasboras have scattered around and are literally swimming amongst the other fish in couples and singles with the occasional gathering. I noticed the same with my older group, they're not strict schoolers but would join each other often enough, especially when I do water changes and mess around the tank.

The rasboras are tiny! They look like some sort of insects inside and in fact are as long as the frozen krill I just fed :p. I don't know how I'll feed so many little fish, and not sure my smallest NLS pellets would fit their tiny mouths. I should have grabbed some flakes...I think the smallest NLS I have is 1mm which I give the other rasboras, and some spirulina pellets which are way smaller and would probably be ideal. I must dig them out of the freezer....

P.S. I could not find the damn spirulina in the freezer...They'll have to try eating the 1mm pellets..

It looks like the pellets are way too big for their tiny mouths. I was watching one playing soccer with it, carried the pellet on its nose around the tank :lol: I'll order something smaller now. And of course, the clown loaches decided to go all out at bright lights on for a second feeding....

They rasboras are going around in circles right now, stopping around the filter outlets to "play" :lol:

In the mean time, a pic of ripe parlour palm "flowers"...I damaged the stalk while rescuing the kessil LED which was being suffocated amongst the plants. I moved it on the other side, trying to give the new palm and other peace lily some light...

20180127_121901.jpg

20180127_121849.jpg

Hi all,Brilliant, you could have a go at growing <"some new plants">.

cheers Darrel

I thought of trying it but unless I need a palm for the tank, I don't really have anywhere to grow them. They don't do well on the window sill. I recently rescued the sibling of the palm I keep in the tank from the window. It had lost almost all its leaves over the last few winter months. There's been no sun here at all! Now its a poor looking 3 stem piece but is perking up in the pond, although I still haven't figured out how to get more light to it.

Yesterday I noticed that the baby clown loach I bought end of September 2016, so about 1 year, 3 months old loach, is now looking like a 4 inch loach, quite grown up and hangs out with the bigger loaches. That's quite the growth for a clown loach in such period of time, and is certainly to do with the extra water volume I think.

Today I need to skip the water change because the med(kusuri wormer) is to stay in the water till Tuesday. Then I'll do a large water change and dose praziquantel. Those two should cover a lot of worms/parasites, in case the little ones have any, also I think 4 of the loaches are not dewormed, specifically the 3 large ones I picked last year May and a more recent 3 inch addition.

I am a bit weary of dosing the prazi because one of the big loaches is gravid and I recently read prazi can have a negative effect, at least in terms of livebrearers such as rays, and can cause them to abort, not sure about egg layers. Anyone heard anything like that?

Besides that, I've dosed prazi before on the loaches and it has never affected them at all in any way that I've noticed. Its just that none of them was gravid at the time....

Back