• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round indoor pond project queries.

I think the small sickly loach is on the road to recovery. I dosed with flubendazole last week and today added the second and last dose.
The loach is now officially yellow and not white :) but he needs to put on some weight and grow a bit now...He's eating and lively still, and the 3 of them small ones are now inseparable during the day, browsing together, which was the whole point of this ordeal :) They are exploring the shadows of the pre-filter sponge below :)

20170311_123440_zpsfccjlz5v.jpg

It is a big colour improvement from his old "white"self a few weeks back

20170127_211400_zpse3ymqtxo.jpg

Now that all fish are out from the small tank, I got to scrape a bit of the algae of the glass in the course of last week...It was seriously thick :D .I did a water change 5 hours before I took the picture below but the plants are still saturated with bubbles. which looks beautiful...:)

20170311_232423_zpsjed5dmns.jpg

20170311_232437_zps4v5xorvz.jpg

I am missing having some fish in there...but even the rasboras are now delighted being in the pond..They are seriously fast fish and fly like rockets in the bigger space now. They seem to be getting on well with the barbs and SAEs. When I scared them with the siphon today, the lot was swimming together around the tank in a big bunch..:)

And the SAEs below.... having some sort of meeting on the hollow stone :) The fifth one must have been running late....Two of the SAE are significantly smaller than the other three, not sure why, because the denison barbs are all almost identical size wise...but the bullying at feeding time between the SAEs never stops :lol: They are ridiculous and only do it amongst themselves...

20170311_123158_zpsu6azpkd0.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, just a quick update on my little pond.

I killed almost all the floating plants now.o_O.....Its just too early to have them, not enough bioload to feed them. It makes no sense to me to regularly dose KNO3 just so I can keep a bunch of floaters. I did save a bit in a container which I dose with ferts and they're doing great there..The anubias and crypts are also not doing great but the large emersed plants on another hand are doing just fine, out-competing everything else...

Otherwise, the fish are doing great. Everyone is in the pond now, including the harlequin rasboras which are really loving it. I saw a couple of them sort of "dancing" together the other day. I am not sure if they were a male and female or two males, can't see their side markings from above..They were a bit afraid of the bigger fish at the start but now have loosened the schooling and I can see them in singles and doubles amongst the barbs and SAEs all the time. I think the poor things get lost and can't find each other :)

My pale clown loach has fully recovered its colour and its gaining back weight. The 3 small ones are now inseparable and very bold. They're out all the time. They rush to the surface to the side of the tank where I feed the moment they see my head staring at them :)

I also keep forgetting to take a kuhli loach video...I see them all the time now coming out looking for food. No one bothers them at all. I am glad I never fed my clown loaches earthworms :)

Here is a quick video I took a video last weekend.

That's a really interesting perspective from above. Makes it look like you have twice the fish with the shadows:) Also good to see natural behaviours.

Thanks mort.ha, ha...the shadows..:) Well, not an excuse but you know....there are generally plenty of fish in the video :rolleyes:...I think roughly 18 in the video with the loaches and a 4 of the rasboras swim by :). When I stand there they all gather nearside waiting to be fed. They'd do that for a while and If I sit there long enough, they'd eventually ignore me and go on about their business around the tank...

One day I noticed they also react positively to the front door being opened.:crazy: I normally feed the fish straight after I walk in home from work. I assumed that they start begging for food when they see me near the tank but not just so....That day I was sitting at home observing them for ages, when my partner came home...I heard the front door being opened quite loudly, and so did the fish :) All of them suddenly stopped doing what they were doing, and gathered the near side of the tank, waiting to be fed by whoever walked in the front door :lol: So they have associated my consistency at feeding them when I come home, the sound of the front door being opened, with being fed....I have a similar routine in the morning too because before I go to work, straight after I get up, I walk my dog and upon returning I feed the fish and then the dog..Somehow the noise of that door being opened and closed has become the dinner bell :lol: The room with the tank is straight across the front door...

Last edited:
Hi Science :) The Url you copied into the tag is rather very long and not ending on .png (which your are) or any other affiliated image extension such as .jpg. I guess that's the reason, it aint a share link from your google account and only shows on your private PC because you have all data stored to see it.

Might look at your google account if the provide a public share Url.. One much shorter and ending on .PNG or .JPG

See bellow attached image..
Locatie = Location, that's the Url
Type = PNG
Grootte = Size, which is 0kb (0 bytes) so it contains zero data

The last image you posted that shows is. See the url and on what it ends? And where you uploaded it..
http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p706/Snezz/20170311_123158_zpsu6azpkd0.jpg

:)

Attachments

• Knipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I don't know why they are not displaying. Do you know any decent image hosting website? Generally, there's nothing new to see :)
Fish are very healthy and colourful. The sickly loach is also fully amended and going from strength to strength.

I can't say the same for the underwater plants. They're struggling, partially because they're outcompeted, and partially because the clown loaches play the "click" and "clip" game at them. I also killed all the floaters. They just didn't do well from severe nitrogen deficiency. The emersed plants though are doing great though and I think are scavenging all the naturally produced ferts leaving nothing to the rest of the plants. The Palm has been flowering for months now.

I'll try posting the pictures again. Here's a couple of recent videos.

Hi Science :) The Url you copied into the tag is rather very long and not ending on .png (which your are) or any other affiliated image extension such as .jpg. I guess that's the reason, it aint a share link from your google account and only shows on your private PC because you have all data stored to see it.

Might look at your google account if the provide a public share Url.. One much shorter and ending on .PNG or .JPG

See bellow attached image..
Locatie = Location, that's the Url
Type = PNG
Grootte = Size, which is 0kb (0 bytes) so it contains zero data

The last image you posted that shows is. See the url and on what it ends? And where you uploaded it..
http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p706/Snezz/20170311_123158_zpsu6azpkd0.jpg

:)

Yep, you got it. I'll try posting from the photobucket acc but it is so sluggish I run out of patience using it anymore

You can upload them directly to the ukaps server too via the Upload file button bellow the message pane when you are writing your post.
This way they also show as long as UKAPS wants it.. Photobucket and other free web hosts are temporary and might get deleted after several months.

Some good and some bad news.

Bad news first. A couple of weeks ago one of my clown loaches was found dried up on the floor:(. I was devastated. Since then I've put a net over the pond. Now at least I am able to fill it up a bit higher but I don't see any reason filling it to the very top..The tank is quite deep, around 80cm to the very top..

The good news is that my poor dead clown loach was replaced with 3 healthy 5 inch loaches I found deserted in the fish shop. They were clearly a bonded trio as they kept swimming together for a while in my tank too but now they're part of the school and my other clowns seem pretty pleased with the addition of like sized buddies. :) My baby loaches are growing too and are quite healthy looking. The one that was sick at purchase several months back has gained weight and a bit of length too. The babies are extremely active and friendly. They literally stand on my hand if I hold the pellets.

I also added some of my corys to the tank. They're delighted to be in there too. At first they were flying like rockets on the round sides, just like the reaction of every other fish I had added. I am not sure why they get so excited swimming in circles :) :lol:

My little quarantine tank is now a cold water tank and is home to some hillstream loaches. They're adorable and they're doing very well as there's is plenty of algae on the tank glass, plus I've got quite the flow in there. They also seem to like doing some good digging in the substrate. Their behaviour is like a mixture of plecos, loaches, corydoras and mini stingrays. They are quite funny. They boss each other around a lot too :)

Sorry got a bit carried away ;)

(for some reason the Like button isn't working :confused:)

Sorry for your clown loss - poor guy :sorry:

That's always bad... I know the feeling, since i keep my goldfish in a simular setup, lost 2 like that during the years.. One female comet tail, was very lucky, it jumped out years ago and i was spraying the grass with a sprinkler.. She ended up in a small puddle of water and was constantly sprinkled, it prevented her from drying out.. Don't know for how long she was in this puddle when i found her, i sprayed for 2 hours or so, did put her back and she still lives today and made offspring. :)

How long have you had it for? I think mine started on the 2nd year or so and hasn't really stopped since.
Sorry for the late reply.. I do not always get notifications when some is added to topics.

But this one is about 15 years now and almost 2 metres large. Never flowered, even tho it stands south/east window..
DSCF8828.jpg

:) Had a few smaller ones, but never a flower..

Back