• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round cobbles / pebbles

A

Antipofish

Hi all. I am going to be setting up a bit of a central american biotope and as such I will have sand as the substrate with varying size gravel strewn around the base of medium and large size round pebbles, increasing to 3 full on large rounded cobble stones. There will be "driftwood" in amongst it and I will be using some plants.. some floaters probably and also some hardier species of plants that are less likely to offend the cichlids that will find this environment as their home.

Can anyone tell me a good place to find the rounded stone I am after ? Do you find them in streams ? If so in any part of the country or only certain locales ? Im no geologist (failed physical geography A level first time around, lol) so I cant think where to look. Im in the lovely chalk ridden south !! :rolleyes:

get a shovel and a sieve goto your back garden dig a hole about 2x2x2 foot.

By time you've sieved all the soil you'll have a bag full of the pebbles/cobbles.

Hi Chris,
Garden centres may have some of the larger rounded stones your after, and the smaller ones too for grading. They'll be much cheaper than aquarist stores. If your looking for free then some farmers fields often have stone piles at the sides where they have raked them out for planting crops, you may get lucky shape wise there. Or of course nearby rivers/
Streams....not sure on the legalities of taking them from these waterways though but they'll most likely be exactly what your looking for as nature will have crafted them!
Cheerio
Ady

down your local beech, nice and weather worn.

Where do you live? I've picked up a few from Brighton and West Wittering is great for larger pebbles.

Morgan Freeman said:
Where do you live? I've picked up a few from Brighton and West Wittering is great for larger pebbles.

Im in Eastbourne Morgan :) Where are you ? Are they quite colourful ? I always thought what I saw around here was dull. Probably not looking hard enough though. The stones in the rivers of New Zealand were spectacular. Pity I could not bring a few back with me. I found one rock (about quarter of a metre in diameter) with a seam of Jade running through it once.

Antipofish said:
Morgan Freeman said:

Im in Eastbourne Morgan :) Where are you ? Are they quite colourful ? I always thought what I saw around here was dull. Probably not looking hard enough though. The stones in the rivers of New Zealand were spectacular. Pity I could not bring a few back with me. I found one rock (about quarter of a metre in diameter) with a seam of Jade running through it once.

I'm in London but have friends in Brighton so I'm down there quite a bit. Sometimes head to the Witterings to go camping.

They weren't especially colourful so I'd imagine it's pretty much the same as Eastbourne!

Back