• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala Rotundifolia Cuttings

I’m going to need to trim the Rotala Rotundifolia in my Nano soon. Will the bits I trim off root eventually if I just plant them in the substrate. I’m only using Aquarium Silica Sand. Or is there some other way outside the aquarium to get them to root? No bother if not, just seems a waste to get rid of the trimmings.

Trimming from the top are most red anyway so generally if you want to keep them as red as poss you keep cycling the tops.

Mine have been way off the soil and done just fine floating before now so long as you dose ferts in the column and have good light / circulation.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are aware that when trimming a stem plant the plant will split to create 2 new stems above the point of the cut. For this reason you may wish to actually trim near the base of the plant and replant the (then quite long) tops... this will keep the plant looking bushy and natural.

Back