• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Root growth fertiliser

Chriss

Seedling
Good evening,
At a shop I was advised to use root growth fertiliser each time when I introduce new plant in a tank and then each month. I did water change every Saturday. Last Saturday I used tablets for a better roots growth but after 2 days I notice water became slightly cloudy what worries me. Is it normal after using tablets? Shall I stop using them? Also I dose plant feltilizer but at the same time I'm using a filter with carbon and I wander if the carbon isn't soaked by carbon leaving no nutrients to plants? Please, let know.

Do u have an ammonia test kit?Cloudy water seems like bacteria bloom caused by ammonia spike.Are u using root tabs meant for aquarium plants?Aquarium ferts are supposed to supply nitrogen in form of nitrates and not ammonia.Also yes the carbon in the filter is considered chemical filtration as it also removes nutrients and such from the water.

Good evening,
At a shop I was advised to use root growth fertiliser each time when I introduce new plant in a tank and then each month. I did water change every Saturday. Last Saturday I used tablets for a better roots growth but after 2 days I notice water became slightly cloudy what worries me. Is it normal after using tablets? Shall I stop using them? Also I dose plant feltilizer but at the same time I'm using a filter with carbon and I wander if the carbon isn't soaked by carbon leaving no nutrients to plants? Please, let know.
Also if u are not running co2 the root tabs should be used around once every 3 months even in a heavily planted tank.

Do u have an ammonia test kit?Cloudy water seems like bacteria bloom caused by ammonia spike.Are u using root tabs meant for aquarium plants?Aquarium ferts are supposed to supply nitrogen in form of nitrates and not ammonia.Also yes the carbon in the filter is considered chemical filtration as it also removes nutrients and such from the water.
Carbon acts a perfectly good filter media (unnecessary in most cases but perfectly good) and doesn't remove ferts to any discernable amount. Cloudy water isn't unusual in a start up, just change your water regularly for the first few weeks and I'm sure it will all come good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Carbon acts a perfectly good filter media (unnecessary in most cases but perfectly good) and doesn't remove ferts to any discernable amount. Cloudy water isn't unusual in a start up, just change your water regularly for the first few weeks and I'm sure it will all come good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I thought the pores in carbon will also trap the nutrients?I could be wrong though because I dont use it.Also I was assuming it was a mature tank as he stated cloudy water occurred after adding the root tablets.

Hi all,
Carbon acts a perfectly good filter media (unnecessary in most cases but perfectly good) and doesn't remove ferts to any discernable amount.
I thought the pores in carbon will also trap the nutrients?
@Iain Sutherland is right, it can't really effectively sieve out ions, the nutrients you add are in the form of ions, and they are atom sized.

There are special cases when can use semi-permeable membranes to exclude larger ions (this is how a RO membrane or Ion Selective Electrode works), but other than that you have to use ion exchange and/or adsorption where ions (or atoms or molecules) from solution adhere to a surface of the adsorbent (which could be an activated carbon containing sponge)

cheers Darrel

Hi all, @Iain Sutherland is right, it can't really effectively sieve out ions, the nutrients you add are in the form of ions, and they are atom sized.

There are special cases when can use semi-permeable membranes to exclude larger ions (this is how a RO membrane or Ion Selective Electrode works), but other than that you have to use ion exchange and/or adsorption where ions (or atoms or molecules) from solution adhere to a surface of the adsorbent (which could be an activated carbon containing sponge)

cheers Darrel
Ah i see thanks

Hello,
It all seems to come back to normal after 2 days.Water is crystal clear. The tablets are called simply plant root feltiliser. Thank you all for suggestion though. :)

Hi Chris,
Just to say I have just experienced the same. I have a mature tank set up for 2 years but have only recently started fertilisation programme. I bought some AquaCare Aquarium Plant Tablets- soluble tablets for adding every 2 weeks (or so the label says!). I followed dosage guidelines of 1 tablet per 25lits and now the following day the water is cloudy whereas it was crystal clear yesterday. Fish seem fine. Water test results: Nitrite test = 0, Phosphate = 0, Nitrate = 5-10ppm. Not clear of cause of cloudiness. Thoughts welcomed!

Back