• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rod for my own back?

pat1cp

20220114_155759.jpg

Mm
20220114_155423.jpg

My fear is its too intricate, making it a pain to maintain.

Any advice/criticising welcome.

I'm thinking monte carlo carpet with mosses, buces and Anubias on the hardscape and Vallisneria as a back drop.

Last edited:
I don't think its too intricate at all, you have room to clean glass, if you glue the wood you can clean hardscape easily; i don't see an issue for maintenance
I like the planting idea, I think I'd do monte carlo wrapping to the back right and blyxa japonica on the back middle as a sort of gradient to the taller val on the back left

I prefer this new one for the base, I like some height in my hardscape as it's so good to grow plants up the wood, and make a cool lil emergent bit. More habitat for the fish, more places to put buces lol

Personally I would also add the first wood in as well, as rooty detail around the bottom, I really like the wiggly vibes of the first one, and when the woods are waterlogged the colour should end up pretty much the same and it'll look like one piece.

If it were me, to make it really easy to maintain, I would attach all this wood together (with wire and screws), and then just place it on top of the stones (it looks like this right now which is great). This way you can remove the wood whole to attach new plants, trim, clean, etc without many problems, and then it's easier to do a deep clean of the tank too. This is my favourite thing to do with tanks that aren't massive, it makes life so much simpler. Personally I find glueing plants on doesn't work very well, so being able to remove the wood to tie plants on with thread is great, and then in a few months can cut the threads off if it's obvious.

Looking good, it feels cohesive now. I do like the roots in the 2nd to last img going onto the leftmost rock, maybe you could cut them off and use them without the main spiderwood stump?
View attachment 180174
like this i think
Many thanks for your comments, I will definately incoorporate the suggestion.

Well......that was eventful. I was trying to prime the filter by tipping it slightly, one way then the other.........then the outlet hose popped off the filter head :oops:

PS - My thumb still doesn't work on my phone.

Well......that was eventful. I was trying to prime the filter by tipping it slightly, one way then the other.........then the outlet hose popped off the filter head :oops:

PS - My thumb still doesn't work on my phone.
Hope you and your floor didn't get too soaked! 😂 Happens to us all occasionally

Back