• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rock?

seedoubleyou

So I think it was @Geoffrey Rea who posted this link in another thread, and I really took to this this scape, I just find the simplicity and the movement of the fish create a really relaxing aquarium.
My house move should be all done this month which means I can finally get my tank set up again, and I’d really like to replicate the above in a 90cm tank.

To finally get to my question, if I was to trawl all the local garden centres for the largest stone/rock I could find.

What type of rock would be safe, and what should I steer clear of?

Cheers,
Chris.

You should avoid calcite-containing (CaCO3) rocks, especially if injecting CO2. But that's exactly what people often do, perhaps inspired by Amano's example.:)

It’s a type of basalt from my research.
If you have a garden centre near you can often find nearly similar by looking for “black river cobbles” and searching through the gabian to find the best ones.

Alternatively, go to north wales and collect water worn slate, with effort you can find similar.

My own bricks come from road works and are just flint.

Last edited:
909B6A3E-3541-4C1C-9B79-43DF69DED8E0.jpeg

It’s a type of basalt from my research.
If you have a garden centre near you can often find nearly similar by looking for “black river cobbles” and searching through the gabian to find the best ones.

Alternatively, go to north wales and collect water worn slate, with effort you can find similar.

My own bricks come from road works and are just flint.
I’m in north wales for a couple days this months so it’s not a bad shout.
My mum has a farm, and there’s plenty of rock rubble up there thinking about it.

Back