• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rock I.D

maffas85

I found these rocks on my local beach can someone please help to i.d them and are they safe for use in my tank
Thanks

e4b8875a7d67d40b3b20a92c850d40c0.jpg
cb65fa23c0d280a7071be184d1e5a5b4.jpg
1d5770cc6cf65c403a8aa0a90b50cd43.jpg
016b4496372a154bd8655700cb744047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not a geologist so consider these guesses, but the 2 on the right look like granite, the top left might be gneiss, and the lower left looks like pumace or eroded limestone, @dw1305 might have an accurate answer. :)

Thanks for the reply i hope number 1 is granite as I really like the pink and red in it and would like to incorporate this into my tank

Where exactly is your local beach? it would help to know if you want an ID.

P.S. I'm guessing maybe somewhere in Cornwall or Scotland?

Last edited:
No its in east yorkshire hornsea to be precise

Haha...I think your rocks are all igneous rocks of some description, maybe granite, and there aren't that many places in the UK that they outcrop near the coast...
The geology of the Hornsea area is predominantly sedimentary, Boulder Clay with some sands and gravels.
Anyway, yes they will be fine to use in the tank, except for the white stone which is probably some sort of heavily weathered/eroded limestone, chalk.

Hi all,
I agree with the others, the two coarse grained pink rocks look like granite. I don't know the source of them in the N. Sea (Norway?), but they look similar in colour to the Connemara granite from W. Ireland.

I would assume that there must be a wide range of different erratics eroding out of the glacial till all along the Holderness coast, and it should be a really good place to find water worn cobbles in a range of colours.

The darker igneous rock looks like a <"Rhomb porphyry">, which would definitely make it of Norwegian origin, the large crystals are "phenocrysts".
except for the white stone which is probably some sort of heavily weathered/eroded limestone, chalk.
The fourth rock does look like pumice, but I think @Tim Harrison is right, and it is a chalk pebble that has been heavily <"bored by Piddocks etc">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you all for your help

Back