• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO water and crystal shrimp?

14crazychris

Hi there

I have been doing a lot of research on red crystal shrimp and am nearly ready to set a tank up. I am going to be going for a bucephalandra on lava rock theme with moss. The plants are already established on the rocks in my other tank I just need some final help.

I am going to be using RODI water but not sure what is the best way to re mineralise it. I will be having a sand substrate. What would be the best way to achieve the correct TDS, GH and KH?

Oyster shells in filter
Crushed coral in filter
Liquid buffer
Mineral powder buffer?
RO/ tapwater mix

Have done lots of research but can’t work out which is the best product to use. Any help would be great!
Cheers Chris

My tap water is really hard, and I though crystal bee shrimp were quite sensitive. Could do an RO tap water mix 75:25? Not sure if it’s a waste buying minerals or crushed coral/oysters?

Cheers

I can't say for sure about sensitivity,just that cutting it with tap water wil make it easy to do frequent and large waterchanges, in my book better than remineralising with all kind of miracle products.

Use this formula for remineralising my rcs tank.

0.4g Calcium Chloride Dihydrate
2.0g Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate
2.0g Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate
0.7g Potassium Carbonate
25 litres Water

The above solution gives:
24ppm Calcium
8ppm Magnesium
16ppm Potassium
7ppm Chloride
GH=5
KH=1

Ok cheers! That’s really helpful, know what I’m going to do now. One other thing, I’m going be doing a bucephalandra only tank however I have read that you cant use fertilisers with crystal shrimp. Was going to purchase the all in one evolution aqua liquid plant food, can I use this or would there be a better type of fertiliser to purchase for shrimp tanks?
Cheers Chris

I use ferts with cherry and bee shrimp no problem...
If it's copper you're worried about, don't be, it's present in such small quantities infects compared to meds...

Back