• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO or tap water for dry start

widow-maker

Setting up a new tank with Monte Carlo carpet going to use the dry start method was wondering why all the tutorials say use RO water for the spraying? Why not just use tap water?

Tap water contains various salts which may precipitate on leaves. That's not a very serious problem, but if you can avoid it, you'd better do.
Are you using plain silica sand or some of the commercial substrates?

Are you going to cycle it underwater before the dry start?

Frankly, I've never had an opportunity to get acquainted with Tropica soil. Yet I suppose it's similar to other commercial soils & substrates.
These substrates contain lost of nutrients which leach easily as well as easily degradable organic matter. Both contribute to 'microbial storm' lasting several weeks when many water changes are necessary to overcome this period.
If you do a dry start which is, in fact, a wet start, that flood of nutrients and microbes will occur, too. And that's definitely not the right moment & place to introduce any plants.
Well, my opinion. Others might think differently, or possibly know how to handle it.

Yeah i heard this before lots of waterchanges for first few weeks i have cycled media from other canister filters

Back