• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO & EI

nayr88

Hi Guys,

Going to give RO a try in my next scape.
I understand many folk cut there RO with tap water.

My question is, if i am using EI method of fertilising do i need to cut at all? also, when doing the water change on the six day, i cant just be adding pure RO, so will i need to remove the 15 lityres from the tank then before replacing this water dose my bucket with my EI mix?

or do i simply cut it on water change day and then dose ei the following day.

Thanks guys

The purpose of cutting tap water with RO is mostly to soften the water, not really to control ferts. If you really want to control ferts like a maniac then full RO, that way you know exactly what you get in the tank, ferts wise. If you go full RO then you need to remineralize your water with something like CaSo4 (Calcium Sulfate) to bring to Gh up a bit.

When WC days comes you simply do 50% TAP / 50% RO if that's what you want, then dose your ferts.

That's how I have been doing up until now. Now moving to 100% RO due to very poor water quality where I am.

The purpose of cutting tap water with RO is mostly to soften the water, not really to control ferts. If you really want to control ferts like a maniac then full RO, that way you know exactly what you get in the tank, ferts wise. If you go full RO then you need to remineralize your water with something like CaSo4 (Calcium Sulfate) to bring to Gh up a bit.

When WC days comes you simply do 50% TAP / 50% RO if that's what you want, then dose your ferts.

That's how I have been doing up until now. Now moving to 100% RO due to very poor water quality where I am.

Ok I may go 75 RO and 25 water.
Have you noticed the difference in plant growth and health?

Have you noticed the difference in plant growth and health?

Not really. My plants were already healthy, or so I think and most of the plants I have do well in harder water. For the past few months I have been venturing into more sensitive plants that require lower KH hence the need for me to soften the water with RO. Now that I have redone my tank and I have aquired even more sensitive plants + that the water quality is pretty poor lately I will simply do 100% RO.

Back