• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO Booster Pump

Luvlyjub

Hi,

I have been using an RO system to cut my tap water and using a 3 stage 100GDP with a booster pump.

Now I am sure I read you need to match the pump rating to the membrane but is this actually necessary?

As I need to change my membrane I have ordered a 150GPD with an increased flow restrictor to hopefully speed up the production process.

So, is it a problem using my 100gdp booster pump with this membrane?

What pump do you have @Luvlyjub ?

Some pumps are regulated to a set pressure, so won’t exceed 75psi for example.
It's the ECHEN 103-100 - it was meant to be the self-regulating with output 70psi.

They came with options from 50/75/100 or 200 GPD - so I purchased the 100 to match RO unit

That pump should be sufficient with a 150GPD membrane @Luvlyjub .

It’s only when you switch to something like a single 400GPD membrane. Those things are rated to a maximum of 290psi so can handle bigger booster pumps to maintain efficiency without membrane stretch.

Have found running multiple membranes in series with a recycling configuration to be the biggest increase in efficiency if this is what you are after.

For example, running three 150GPD membranes for a total of 450GPD combined with a booster pump rated for 200-450GPD. You can expect a 1:1 waste to product water ratio with a production rate of 1 litre of product per minute.

Have found running multiple membranes in series with a recycling configuration to be the biggest increase in efficiency if this is what you are after.

For example, running three 150GPD membranes for a total of 450GPD combined
Didn't you mean multiple membranes in parallel?

Not quite @_Maq_ , referring to a recycling configuration to reduce waste water to overall product water:

Membrane 1: water in, product out, waste fed to…

Membrane 2: waste in from M1, product out, waste fed to…

Membrane 3: waste out, product out.

As below:

1669807006693.jpeg

1669807409203.jpeg

The waste water travels in series, but the product is parallel at exit but not input so not sure how you would classify this with clarity. Picture helps though…

Back