• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

River/stream Iwagumi - 90P

Shinobi

Hey guys,

Been busy the last couple of days trying to put together my latest scape.

Heavily inspired by a concept I saw from Steven Chong I've tried to recreate a very classic Iwagumi representing a river/stream layout.

I've also tried experimenting with some lawn protector modules in order to help create some height while getting the hardscape in place

Update 1 (equipment and plants)

Equipment:

Tank: ADA 90P
Filter: ADA Super Jet Es-600
Light: ADA Solar RGB, ADA Light Screen 90 (background)
Cabinet: ADA Wood Cabinet
Co2: Pro-Elite dual stage from CO2ART with bazooka diffuser
Skimmer: ADA Vuppa II

Ferts: Tropica Specialized (1-2ml daily )

Substrate and hardscape:

ADA Amazonia
ADA power sand advance M
ADA la plata sand
DOOA tropical river sand
Stone: ADA 'blue' manten stone

Plants (powered by Tropica):

Cryptocoryne parva
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Eleocharis parvula
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Helanthium tenellum 'Green'
Bucephalandre Kedagang

Attachments

• 20200521_111852.jpg
    20200521_111852.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 905
  • 20200522_095736.jpg
    20200522_095736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 656
  • 20200523_170303.jpg
    20200523_170303.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 679
  • 20200524_121547.jpg
    20200524_121547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 770
  • 20200524_191910.jpg
    20200524_191910.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 795
  • 20200524_194415.jpg
    20200524_194415.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 762
  • 20200524_213845.jpg
    20200524_213845.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Hi mate,

not sure about the small Rock pointing left on the top left?

maybe try to point the 2 main rocks more downwards too?

Good start anyway :)

Oh wow - it looks stunning and the use of lawn protectors is brilliant. Are those rocks glued to the lawn protectors, of it's just balanced there? They look like they are about to come crashing down!

Haven't used any glue, but balanced a lot and made sure they don't fall down even if accidentally pushed - guess time will tell :oops:

Reactions: Ray
Hi mate,

not sure about the small Rock pointing left on the top left?

maybe try to point the 2 main rocks more downwards too?

Good start anyway :)

Layout is pretty final at this point, I think it strikes, for me at least, a good balance betwen Light/Shadow and a good amount of dramatic verticality, while still being viewable from all angles :)

The thing is, its placed right in the middle of my livingroom so having a competition tank whose entire layout is planned to only be seen from a front view angle is not an option unfortunately

I think i agree with cookies the rock on top left looks a little odd but love the larger rocks looking forward to this i am after a 90cm very soon.

What rock is that ? And what hardware you be using ?

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I think i agree with cookies the rock on top left looks a little odd but love the larger rocks looking forward to this i am after a 90cm very soon.

What rock is that ? And what hardware you be using ?

Thanks dean

It's pretty much all ADA setup vise. Light, filter, cabinet, tank etc.

Stone is Manten also from ADA

It's pretty much all ADA setup vise. Light, filter, cabinet, tank etc.

Stone is Manten also from ADA
Great setup looking forward to this, how do you go about water changes out of curiosity with a 90p do you drain into garden then use pump to refill ? From sink

Sorry for random questions

Dean

Great setup looking forward to this, how do you go about water changes out of curiosity with a 90p do you drain into garden then use pump to refill ? From sink

Sorry for random questions

Dean

Usually I pump into buckets, then use it to water houseplants and the garden. Then I just run a long line straight from my RO unit into the tank and remineralize about one third with tap water

Thanks for that mate appreciate it, just curious as wanting a 90p and relise will be more work but also be worth it.

Dean

It's a concept kindly lend to me by Steven Chong, while not trying to recreate it 1:1 I've used it as a guideline for this layout
View attachment 149199
View attachment 149200

Pretty accurate representation tbh and although not 1:1 like you say it’s great to see something done in reality against an idea 👍🏻

Must be nice having a friend like Steven chucking you ideas :lol:

Last edited:
Just subtle details.

This stone type has the most character I've seen, and every piece seems to tell a story.

Probably will have to wait a couple of weeks before planting. Stuff like this is what I get to enjoy in the meantime
20200528_170940.jpg

Hi,

Ive seen Steven‘s design before and I really like it. I think your hardscape looks great, but I’d change this:

2C6C360F-091A-4FB0-A064-5301056B41A9.jpeg

1. I find the circled rock to unpleasing. It’s rounder than all the other rocks and it’s dead centre of the viewpoint which I think is jarring. I think a small rock shaped like the marked rock moved to the left and pointing towards the viewpoint would look better.

2. I think, as in the sketch, that a small rock behind the secondary stone to create a reflection would look really good.

3. There‘s a hill in the back left that I would flatten out.

Well done on another great layout. I really liked your EAPLC aquascape.

Hi,

Ive seen Steven‘s design before and I really like it. I think your hardscape looks great, but I’d change this:

View attachment 149402

1. I find the circled rock to unpleasing. It’s rounder than all the other rocks and it’s dead centre of the viewpoint which I think is jarring. I think a small rock shaped like the marked rock moved to the left and pointing towards the viewpoint would look better.

2. I think, as in the sketch, that a small rock behind the secondary stone to create a reflection would look really good.

3. There‘s a hill in the back left that I would flatten out.

Well done on another great layout. I really liked your EAPLC aquascape.

Really constructive inputs, appreciate it :D

Back