• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riparium Bonsai

Thanks so much Alastair. You are right: I should probably keep the oak leaves + sand. Since this is a new setup the water is a bit cloudy while also being stained by the leaves. It will probably clear up as the system matures.

I plan to add a group of Boraras uropthalmoides and a single Indostomus crocodilus.

I finally got the fish into this setup. Last night I added nine Boraras brigittae and two Sphaerichthys osphromenoides chocolate gouramis. The gouramis look great with the oak leaves!.

I'll try to get some new pictures.

Here's a quick update shot from a couple of weeks ago.

9-VII-13-tank-III-m1.jpg

Unfortunately, the Marsilea fern in the lower left has declined over time. It did not like the change in lighting or water parameters or something after I moved it to this setup. I removed it and replaced with a Lysimachia creeping Jenny that looks OK so far.

I got a quick update shot tonight. This setup is still doing well. The Lysimachia creeping Jenny (lower right) is filling in nicely.

11-VIII-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Thanks James.

The fish aren't too exciting, but I can try to get some pictures.

I have a couple more shots to show more foliage detail. Here is a better view of the Montezuma cypress.

19-VIII-13-tank-I-m.jpg

And here is the Cephalanthus occidentalis buttonbush.

19-VIII-13-Cephalanthus-occidentalis-I-m.jpg

Here's the tank in a temporary spot. As soon as I can get power to it I'm going to move it out of this corner to another wall. I thought that the planting could be a bit more full, so I added a Cyperus umbrella sedge in one more planter to the right of the cypress tree.

The bonsai tree looks all blown out against that white wall. When I move the setup again I will hang up that blue background with it. Now that it is in more steady and warmer conditions I hope that the tree will start to grow again.

I am soaking another batch of new oak leaves in that white basin on the floor. The ones in the tank are all brittle and falling apart again.

The little Boraras still look happy enough.

26-X-13-bonsai-tank-I-m.jpg

Back