• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio Nanay fish

Fish are looking great George, would be great to see how their tank fares plus any insights into these stunning Angels you seen while having them in your care.

Hi all,
Really lovely, there are some good Apistogramma species from the Rio Nanay drainage as well. Norwegian Apisto breeder "Tom C" went there in 2007 (trip to Loreto). His site might be worth looking at, as he has a lot of biotope pictures on it as well as Apistogramma details etc.

<http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2286&gruppeID=1>

cheers Darrel

Top class shots George :thumbup: .
It always adds authenticity when the fish are set against the appropriate biotopical backdrop.

Cheers,
james

Just to say 'Well done' on the tank, as it looked stunning being featured on this month's PFK. Will you be keeping this tank running or will it have to be closed awaiting next featured article. Either way great tank and stunning fish

Thank you, Dave. It's always so nice to receive feedback like that.

The fish are very much thriving right now in my Fluval Profile 1000. It's 275 litres and the dimensions really suit the angels as it's 65cm tall.

The fish have coloured up so much since that article, it's incredible. I will try to update with some new pics one of these days...

George Farmer said:
Thank you, Dave. It's always so nice to receive feedback like that.

The fish are very much thriving right now in my Fluval Profile 1000. It's 275 litres and the dimensions really suit the angels as it's 65cm tall.

The fish have coloured up so much since that article, it's incredible. I will try to update with some new pics one of these days...
Hope you do get the chance to update pics plus a HD video ( I don't ask much, do I? :lol: ) Again great job and it's nice to see what is involved behind the scenes in the different articles, plus it let's us know how much work is involved in identifying the different habitats and trying to replicate them in a 'glass box'. Thanks for a informative and interesting article made doubly so because we can see it's not just a job for you but a quest for you to know more and share with others. Take care

Hi George,
great looking angels, and a great feature in PFK.
Was just wondering if a journal will be going up as im really interested on seeing them in the profile tank.
Is it biotope specific again or have you been tempted to plant it up?
I really like the non planted biotope set up you have produced and like the idea of its seeming simplicity regarding long term management. I know this type of tank offers different challenges regarding hardscaping and husbandry, and if a journal goes up it will be interesting to find out more about maintanence, lighting levels, algae issues???, water changes etc. This seems and excellent way of keeping a second tank alongside a more labour intensive planted aquascape!
Great work again, and like its been said by others, nice to see your enthuiasm for the fish and their use as the main focus of the tank.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Was just wondering if a journal will be going up as im really interested on seeing them in the profile tank.
Is it biotope specific again or have you been tempted to plant it up?

Scratch this q, ive seen in another part of the forum that its going to be planted.... it as the uk aquatic plant society after all :oops: ,
none the less im still very interested to see how it will look so hope the journal will go up soon.
Ady.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, just got round to going through my subscription of PFK and read the fantastic article you wrote George, on the Rio Nanay biotope. I was wondering how are the fish faring in the new planted tank vs the biotope tank?

Did they exhibit the same behaviour or seem more comfortable one way or another in either tank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AeNaaF1k3I&sns=em

This video was taken just before I stripped it down. The fish are all now residing in a friend's 500 litre tank and are doing really well. The angels have grown a considerable size.

Note the floating Amazon frogbit plants that provide shade and nutrient removal. This ensures nitrogenous waste is minimised, as well as preventing algae.

I really miss this set up but look forward to having another larger aquascape early next year.

With the fish swimming and the floating plants swirling around, it really looks like some sorta impressive stage show. Good one George!

Back