• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ride on Lawn Mowers - Flood pics

Zeus.

Fertz Meister
Hi all,

Been weighing up ride on lawn mowers recently for my garden which is about 3/4 of an acre with inclines so thought four wheel drive would be good, there not cheap, thinking eco as well.
Came across this on ebay.

Well it ticks all the boxes :angelic:

Zeus

I live in a normal semi detached house in suburbia and two houses down, the admittedly strange bloke turned up with a goat one morning to cut his grass. I think it lasted a few weeks chained to a post in his back garden.

Went for second hand Husqvarna R320 AWD Out-Front Ride-On Mower and a thirty year old tipping trailer, trailer was is excellent condition for its age.

1625906958269.png

Cut a few paths on long grass for starters
1625907120492.png

Wife wasn't too keen on them :rolleyes:😇

Even named than as 'Silfen Paths' after Peter F Hamilton Commonwealth Saga - Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained an Epic/must read, read them twice and looking forward to read them again. For any fans of the Saga I have yet to find 'Morning Light Mountain'

I rather like the paths! In a week it'll all merge and look natural and lovely. Would be even better with some wild flowers in the mix!

I use a Husqvarna it is OK, I had the mulching blades fitted so no grass to pick up.
It has never been easy to start, it does always start but never straight away.
I had a Honda before and that seemed to be a much better built machine, it cost me £1200 it lasted about 15 years and i still got £400 part excahnge .
Yours has the blades front mounted which I think makes the driver look like a meerkat ha ha….

Would be even better with some wild flowers in the mix!
Yes, read up about that and with the grass being so dense wild flowers wouldn't have much of a chance unfortunately.
I had the mulching blades fitted so no grass to pick up.
The deck is a mulching deck so no pickup
I use a Husqvarna it is OK, It has never been easy to start, it does always start but never straight away.
Starting hasn't been an issue for a nine year old machine, it has a Briggs & Stratton Engine, which I do intend to strip on overall come winter
Yours has the blades front mounted which I think makes the driver look like a meerkat ha ha….
😆, dead handy for getting under bushes and it has a pretty tight turning circle, back end kicks out a bit when doing so,

I had a big green ride on at one time, I cant remember the make but it had a two forward speed gearbox And could go really fast (15mph?)
Anyway, I decided to sharpen the blades (big single deck) while still in place so i made a one sided ramp and drove her up an an acute angle.
I used a 4” grinder with a sanding disk to sharpen the blades, worked a treat so I dove back dow the ramp and started it up.
I thought that it sounded a bit rough and reved it up a bit only for the motor to completely seize up!
What had happened was the engine oil had drained away while it was at an angle.
It was an expensive mistake for sure!

Cut a few paths on long grass for starters
1625907120492-png.png

Wife wasn't too keen on them :rolleyes:😇

Excellent! Mini Pitch-and-Putt or a Go Kart track as a second income could be in your future! . . . Man, I'm so envious of that outlook and river access!

Man, I'm so envious of that outlook and river access!

You might not be when river floods, when it flooded earlier this year when river was at 4.07meters ( last owner sent me these pics on request)
1626196308498.png
1626196402568.png

You can see the level it reached inside the garage where the wall is wet
the highest its been on record is 5.17 meters sept 1999, so thats just below the light switch

Ouch! I guess there’s no such thing as a free lunch eh! . . . but you still went for the house?

Meanwhile, in Germany and Belgium, this was yesterday and the day before.

The area where I live is 20 to 30 miles downhill away from this area, we got the aftermath, a tad less drastic but still, quite some villages evacuated.

I feel really lucky living on top of a hill and see the creek below it turn into a rafting monster.

What a tragedy :eek::eek:😭😭, one of the hidden issues when rivers are held back with banks and we colonise the available land is when freak weather happens and banks bust and very high volumes of water moving fast destroy everything in their way.

Yup, :( it's a wake-up call, how a small idyllic village with a romantic babbling brook can turn into a horror movie.

From this
Valkenburg-aan-de-Geul-scaled.jpg

to this

in less than 3 days time.

Back