• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rice Paddy

Hi Dean

Why not using rice? It's cheap and easy to grow... Just need the seeds (non pealed grains), soak them in a bucket and increase the water level as it grows. Rice needs running water but WCs will work

Jordi

A British friend of mine grows his own rice in two abandoned bath tubes in his orchard. There's no difference if you do it outdoors in an old tank. Make sure you can ensure 120-140 days of direct sun and warm temperatures
Aquatic plants that can be found on rice paddies are Azolla carolineana, Lemma spp., Iris pseudacorus, Cyperus spp., Alisma plantago-aquatica, Lythrum salicaria, Spartina versicolor, Hydrocotyle vulgare, Polygonum spp, Phragmites australis, Typha spp, etc.

Jordi

I'm thinking more of a tank that's just the rice paddy
So substrate and 3/4" water
I'll make the tank to suit it
So I want a plant that will grow like rice, look like rice but isn't going to go to seed and die

These wetland grasses are found in their natural habitat; Hymenachne pseudointerrupta, Leersia hexandra.

Eleocharis Palustris
It's a native will it take the temperatures of a tropical tank ?

I've an impression that you're after some biotope looks. If that is the case, this choice
looks too temperate and too "tidy". Try a broader leaf types, like reed canary grass.
http://www.wetlandplants.co.uk/acatalog/info_M0720.html (this one is probably too tall though).

The places where you can find betta fish look like these.

Catching wild betta.

Or this (the trap is for snakeheads though).
134139647228.jpg

Although this plant is found in its habitat, it is quite rare in nature, not an usual sight.

I don't know if the buoys are only developed when the water is too deep or not. But it looks more right without the buoys. Like this
quantic08.JPG

Betta fish are found in areas filled with dense grass stems from the substrate up to above the water surface, not the areas with dense floating plants but have swimming space below. So when it develops the buoy and spreads along the surface like this, it looks a bit off.

hygroryza_aristata.jpg

Last edited:
Back