• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riccia Fluitans Advice

aquascape1987

Hi all,

I currently have some Riccia on order, and was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding stopping it infesting the tank and getting everywhere?

Im using it as a transition piece between two carpet plants, and ideally I don’t want it to spread from where I am putting it. Certainly don’t want it to take over and infest everything. I’ve read quite a few things on here, suggesting this can happen.

I have never used this plant before, so my only idea so far, is to remove the individual Riccia stones from the tank when trimming the Riccia, and trim this plant outside of the tank. I figured that this might reduce any infestation, due to not having millions of trimmed strands of the plant being released when trimming? Not so sure if my logic on this is sound though, as like I say, I have no experience of this plant.

Other than that idea though, I’m worried I might be setting myself up for it ruining my scape by including it in my plant line up.

Anyone’s thoughts and experiences, very welcome and appreciated.

Hi all,
Certainly don’t want it to take over and infest everything. I’ve read quite a few things on here, suggesting this can happen. I have never used this plant before, so my only idea so far, is to remove the individual Riccia stones from the tank when trimming the Riccia, and trim this plant outside of the tank. I figured that this might reduce any infestation, due to not having millions of trimmed strands of the plant being released when trimming? ......
I think you need a different plant, it is <"almost impossible to keep it in place">, it really wants to be a floating green scum.

cheers Darrel

Yea, that is one of the threads I have read on it. Although, it’s more focussed on eradication of an infestation, rather than preventing an infestation.

So what you’re suggesting is that if I secure this plant to rocks with mesh, it will not stay put? And will likely take over my tank in time?

In terms of a different plant, do you know of any that could achieve the effect I’m looking for with this, but that isn’t invasive?

Hi all,
So what you’re suggesting is that if I secure this plant to rocks with mesh, it will not stay put?
It will grow through the mesh and escape into the tank. It doesn't fix itself underwater, it really wants to be a floating plant.

When it is photosynthesising vigorously the oxygen "pearls" get caught in the Riccia mat and float it up.

I assume that is one of the reasons why the shape of the thallus has evolved into a "Y", so the interlock into "cages" that retain oxygen bubbles and float the plants up to the surface.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the very in depth... I think though, sufficed to say your original suggestion of wrong plant is the take away for me from this. Gutted really, as I was looking forward to trying this plant. I’ve seen a lot of Amano scapes where he uses it to very good visual effect.

As for similar looking alternatives that aren’t invasive, I take it there aren’t/you don’t know of any?

Hi all,
As for similar looking alternatives that aren’t invasive,
I haven't grown anything with that <"nice bright green colour"> and pearling, most of the mosses are darker green.

5.jpg

I’ve seen a lot of Amano scapes where he uses it to very good visual effect.
<"Lomariopsis lineata"> would probably be the nearest option?

<"A moss that attaches"> would be my suggestion. There are the various Fissidens spp. that would do, but they are all dark green.

If you use a DSM you <"can attach most mosses">.

cheers Darrel

<"A moss that attaches"> would be my suggestion. There are the various Fissidens spp. that would do, but they are all dark green.

I think dark green would do the trick to be honest.

Fissidens fontanus looks good.

So this type is slow growing from what I read and will definitely not be invasive to the rest of the tank?

Will it attach without using DSM? As I don’t really have the time luxury to be able to do this.

Just to emphasise... DONT DO IT!

The stuff is a menace.

Don’t worry, I’ll be taking the advice on this. What’s been said on here, plus the other bits have read, have confirmed my decision.
Just wish I’d posted this thread yesterday, before I ordered 5 pots of it 🙄

I’ll have to see if anyone wants it on the sales section, but judging by both of your responses in here, I take it I wouldn’t find a buyer in either of you two 😂.

It is very well behaved, and a slow grower.
Will get some fissidens on order, if I can find any last remaining available bits left in the UK.
Cheers for advice guys

Hi all,
I take it I wouldn’t find a buyer in either of you two 😂
I didn't actually buy mine, you won't be surprised to hear that it arrived as a <"hitchhiker" with some moss, along with Utricularia gibba">. I make efforts to keep <"the bits I have"> (as a floating plant), because it never grows very well in soft water with low nutrients.

A lot of people would look at plants like Lemna minor, Utricularia gibba and Riccia fluitans as weeds, but I have a control, rather than eliminate, policy. If the Duckweed and Riccia suddenly look much more green, and generally happier, I know that the water in that tank is harder and more nutrient rich than it was.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back