• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Revised drafts v2 (pics)

Kezzab
without buying rocks off the internet!

I often see complaints about buying hardscapes off line what you see is often not what you buy excerpt if another member.

Kezz%202%2014.4.18%202%20_edited-3.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

Kezzab

Here are my thoughts.
The rear piece rotated (yet behind the piece pointing up to the back LH corner)

The red X piece
Either above or below and the RH end resting on a rock to give it a little height.

Does this make any sense to you its extremely hard to what I am thinking on an old Adobe Element.

Because of all my design work over 60+++ years I can visualise the finished job its something I have always been able to do.

hi @Keith GH thanks for that. Really hard to do based on a photo. I think the pieces arent shaped in the way you think, if you know what i mean. Taking your general point of trying to move the whole thing off center to the left ive done a couple of tests.

One would require me to cut a piece to fit, as it pokes out the front glass.

WP_20180414_16_45_32_Rich.jpg

2. I think i prefer this:

WP_20180414_17_09_46_Rich.jpg

Kezzab

The little red dots are very close to your focal points well done not perfect but extremely close.

Next three points extremely important rock type and placement, the substrate and, the choice of plants and I am positive you will get assistance there.

Question I assume its an open tank?

I will be using this photo to show how a Mock Tank is worth while.

hi @Keith GH thanks for those comments, appreciate the feedback.

The tank is open top and i will be using liquid carbon rather than injecting co2 (the tank has a sump so injecting is impractical). I've a fairly limited budget for this set up so in terms of substrate I'm considering soil/compost capped with sand/gravel. I may use a small amount of aquascape soil for places where i need a slope.

I'd welcome your opinion on substrate choice/colour.

One option is to work with the red/rust tone of the wood and use local red/yellow sandstone collected from the river, and the sand I've used above.

Another would be to use a black sand. Or the very white ADA type sand. Or or or...

in terms of planting, ill be trying to reuse plants from existing tank - Anubias, Bolbitis, Crypts, plus some new Buce perhaps. Needs some thought!

Thanks

Kezzab

Another would be to use a black sand. Or the very white ADA type sand. Or or or...

Its a personal but run a mile or more that use White it can be very glary and extremely difficult to keep clean.

In my opinion black would be the best it would highlight all your wood an only green plants.

Rocks leave them alone let all the wood and plants work in together. There are pockets every where that can be filed with a substrate and low plant.

Next job set all the substrate and wood in your tank. Hose all the wood and soak it if necessary. You can use a heavy rocks to hold it down.

What a nice rock! Definitely a big plus, especially because all the small rocks would be practically invisible after planting.
I like your last layout the most but I reckon with your nice looking hardscape you can find many other good options.

Kezzab

I've decided i'm not going to do an actual rescape until after the summer, so more time to mess about.

Do I see another convert to the Mock Tank?

My opinion it.s big and very powerful plus it has pockets everywhere for plants.

Would it work? It certainly would.

Back