• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return to aquascaping - 270L (oddn0ise)

oddn0ise

Hi all, after a recent holiday to Costa Rica I came back all inspired and have set about a new aquascape.

After almost 15 years my 270L tank feels like it is nearing the end of it’s life, so this may well be my last scape in this tank. It has served me well with a top 300 ranking in the ADA aquascaping competition (early days) and an invitation to compete in the UKAPS aquascaping contest a few years back, where I learned a lot.

So below is where my last scape ended up and now its time to see if I can better it.

I’m quite a fan of Crypts so they will feature throughout. I’ll keep you posted of progress. I do have a huge pile of plants Anubias, Bolbitis, Java Fern narrow, some Crypts and some wood, if people want to swap, or buy it, if you are interested PM me and I’ll post pictures.

270L braced tank - Eheim Professional 350 filter with Eheim pre-filter
2L JBL CO2 system with Sera diffuser
AquaRay LED tiles x 2 (2pm fade up - 9pm fade down) - 1x 36 inch fluorescent tube

Amazonia soil (mainly original version with small top-up of new)
Unipac 2mm gravel (for river)
Various pieces of bogwood - Grey aquascaping rock - Smooth pebbles

Anubias barteri
Cryptocoryne crispatula
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne wendtii (green and brown)
Cryptocoryne willisii
Cryptocoryne usteriana
Eleocharis acicularis mini
Hemianthus callitrichoides

100+ Cherry shrimps and some old Amano shrimps
3 Columbian bronze top Corydoras, 4 Corydoras Sterbai, 1 Corydoras Nattereri (+7 years old)
6 Kitty tetra, 30 Glowlight tetras

No sketches, just making it up as I go along, and from memory of the Costa Rican river banks.

Enjoy

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 23.30.47.png

Previous tank.

IMG_1262.jpg
Day 1 - Aug 12, 2018

Last edited:
Decided to try an online fish supplier for the first time... went to TropCo and have just received a beautifully wrapped box of fish, delivered early in the morning on the day they said, really impressed.
Just need to look after them until the tank is ready...

I didn't realise it would take so much time transferring the Cherry shrimps, they get everywhere. At one point the tank was bare and soil was almost dry, and somehow there are five tiny shrimps in the new set-up already.
Have now added well over 100...
Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 14.22.33.png

Pot bottom...

Last edited:
2 weeks in and substrate dust finally starting to settle, nitrate/nitrite levels under control.
Gentle filter clean after it was really dirty. 40% water change and have been reintroducing fish over the last couple of days.
Added Cryptocoryne parva behind Eleocharis acicularis.

IMG_1312.jpg

Back