• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

Bugger...:arghh:
Subtitle...I hate when that happens :meh:

My Cal Aqua Labs lily inflow shattered when I was unhooking it from the tank this morning. Still not sure how it happened :confused:
But not a problem, I thought, saves cleaning it, and I can use the Ehiem inflow until I can order another glass one...until I remembered I'd thrown it away when I cleared out the garage :(

Had to rush out and buy another Ehiem inflow as a temp solution :rolleyes:

39421826224_d5098c8086_b.jpg

28353001909_b41f962d35_b.jpg

Hey Oh no. That so annoying hopefully it didn't wet your floor. Cal brand too not cheap Glass ones you always have to be extra carefully. I got sone arcylic ones from ebay works well.
I know...that makes three I've managed to break somehow :meh:
Acrylic is probably the way to go now.

DAM! ive broken many cheap ebay glass pipes but since switching to the smallest cal aqua pipes (forget the exact model) I have not had problems, the glass seems real thick, I am now thinking of switching the SS pipes as I get a bit sick of cleaning the dirty glass pipes... tho when they get so dirty i guess its a good sign to clean your filter.

Hi Marcel, yes it is emersed and it's spreading, some starting to grow immersed as well. As you can see it's growing through the moss.

Realy nice! Hopefully you get it to flower one day, that would be realy special. I'd love to see that.. I experienced this beauty as mysteriously difficult emersed as submersed. Had tons of it growing either way very lush with loads of fat bladders and suddenly it slowly dissappeared. Unfortunately it never flowered. Since it's carnivorus i have no other clue than i might have distroyed the ballance in micro organisme some how and it starved. Or something else threw off the micro organsm ballance in the tank. I don't recall anything off that's to blame. It's still on my wish list to try again.

Thanks Marcel. Yes it's a very mysterious plant. This is the first time I've had any kind of success with it.
I've always tried to grow it immersed, thought I'd give it a go emersed, but still expected it to die.
However I grow it, the transition is a bit weird. The old leaves completely die back and new leaves emerge from the resulting slime, almost Phoenix like.
I think this time growing through mini Christmas moss and Pellia might have made a difference. It started to emerge through the moss away from the main clump.

Yes I do Ed.. Thanks.. :)

Here is another one i recently found.. :) All tiny carnivors invitro.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/weirdplantsshop?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754
Some very intersting specimen for transitoning to emersed growing in the emersed mosses.
Because replanting or moving adults oftenly fails. They hate beeing moved once used to a spot.
Example Drosera peltata, small red colored asian tropic, doesn't go in dormancy..

Such beautiful dw and rock arrangement that’s super impressive. Long time lurker Logged in to give props.

But the plants cover it all up. Seems a waste of the composition and your time. Isn’t it possible to create a more shallow depth of substrate around the edge of the hard scape so the carpet and other plants don’t cover it all up?

Still a beautiful tank congrats

Thanks @TomatoandEgg Know what you mean and you're not first to comment on that.
For me the hardscape is a means to an end. It's the bone structure for the flesh of the scape, the plants.
The substrate depth is really determined by the planting, any shallower and it'd be very difficult to plant in.

And thanks @anfield. If I can find a decent pair of Rams I'd snap them up in an instant, females are difficult to come by, and I don't do mail order fish.
I spied a tank full of Scarlet badis at my LFS but they were still in quarantine, if they turn out okay I'll try to get a pair of those, but again females are very difficult to come by.

I had a fantastic pair of scarlet badis that stayed alive in a heavily planted 7 gallon for over a year without eating any flake food. They survived just off shrimp babies. They are picky eaters for sure.

I find that in the US, mail order fish from the right source is better than anything I can get locally.

Also I think your level of planting is perfect for this tank. Need to showcase the hardscape and not just the plants.

I spied a tank full of Scarlet badis at my LFS but they were still in quarantine, if they turn out okay I'll try to get a pair of those, but again females are very difficult to come by.
Encourage your shop to order in separate male & female "bags" rather than male/female mixed - much more likely to actually get females then
(as in either the females ship or they don't, but there's no question that what arrives is Dario girls ;))

They are quite interesting in a group - your tank has the footprint & scape for a nice "shoal"
& they'll barely affect your bioload :D

btw your Cal Aqua obviously lost its integrity form the dissonant forces applied by the uneven grunge coating :(
- must strive for more even distribution :cool:

Back