• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

Thanks @Million and @Daveslaney.

Nearly there...

34875453634_ab5fcaa1cf_b.jpg

35585528381_a69184eb22_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Neil...I think a mixed carpet - Stauro, Monte Carlo, Hydrocotyle sp. Japan, and maybe a couple of others.
There are quite big planting pockets at the back where I'd like some colour so Rotala 'H’ra', Rotala wallichii, Rotala green.
On the rocks and DW a combination of small buces and mosses.
The top of the stump is hollow so some emergent growth as well, maybe small ferns, Crypts etc.

It looks like it will be quite difficult to get some flow round everywhere mind you.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. The back left is going to be a bit of a dead spot...I might invest in an Eheim Skim 350 tho' which will solve that problem;)

Definitely, I've done a similar thing, found a tip using loom bands on the intake to prevent small fish and shrimp being hoovered up by it. I can also strongly recommend the APS surface skimmer as well although I noticed there are very similar chinese versions of the same on auction sites. Pros and cons, the eheim tends to go longer without needing cleaned as it has a larger sponge in, however, on the eheim you need to take it to bits to clean the sponge whereas the APS you can just use the planting tweasers to remove the sponge from the top without removing the body out of the tank but with the size of the sponge you will probably need to do this every couple of days, the eheim I get away with weekly. The thing I like about the APS one is it comes with a little grill on where as the eheim needs modified to prevent fish losses. The APS also has a venturi so at night you can open the valve and pump some o2 in and close it again in the morning. Another positive for the APS other than its half the price is it runs on 3watt of power compared to the 5watt on the eheim, probably doesn't concern you that much but things like that annoy me :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-S...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01M0LZ8N5

41YMnqKBeQL.jpg

@Million, forgot to answer your question, I'm going with Amazonia, but only because I've already got it...next time I'll probably go with Tropica.
@AverageWhiteBloke, thanks for all the info;)
@zozo thanks Marcel...like I said elsewhere 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration:)

It seems with Amazonia there is less room for error with liquid frets or it claims, so why do think Tropica next time Tim?

Main reason is it's easier to come by in the UK, that is without incurring P&P costs. Other than that, i maybe wrong but, I think essentially when it comes to the better of the well known brands there isn't really that much to choose between them...they all make fairly similar claims.

@PARAGUAY No worries. Just to be clear though I meant Tropica "Aquarium Soil" which is an all in one substrate like Amazonia...not Tropica "Plant Growth Substrate" which requires capping.

Oddly this puts me in mind of the "original" rock work in Windswept (before it became Windswept :D ) - liked it then & even better now :clap:

I suggest you look for a custom 60 x 40 rather than going back to the 60 x 30 dimensions of ADA 60P, a beautiful tank but I always wish it had those extra 10cm depth

Thanks alto. Yes you're right about the depth it makes a lot of difference. When I started scaping as a kid, way back when it wasn't called scaping, I used to wish I had a tank with greater depth.
I've found a guy on eBay called NACDesign and he sent me some pics of his work...he's not cheap tho', and after the time I've had with APS I'm in no hurry:rolleyes:

upload_2017-7-6_16-54-36.png

upload_2017-7-6_16-54-52.png

upload_2017-7-6_16-55-58.png

upload_2017-7-6_16-56-14.png

upload_2017-7-6_16-56-34.png

upload_2017-7-6_16-56-44.png

That's one hell of a kit job!! I wish i can pull that off on my next one. :)

If it's easily done you might try boiling part of the eucalyptus root - some species are reported benign in aquaria while others have reports of profound toxicity ... any idea which species this is?

(apologies had this thought earlier but forgot to mention :oops: )

Thanks alto, I've no idea what species it is. I hope its the benign sort.
Keith a fellow mod on ASW is an Aussie and can pick it up from the river bank, he calls it Murray River Gum which is Eucalyptus camaldulensis.
I hope it's not that species either since he can't get epiphytes to grow on it...probably something to do with allelochemicals.

Back