• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

I now see that wood is hollow at the top near the surface.. :) That's interesting.. Can't wait to see what's up with that..

I'm going to fill the hollow with Tropica substrate and plant it up as well, nothing too big probably just some small micro type ferns. I'd welcome any suggestions :)

some small micro type ferns.

?? I guess you won't have much to go on with that.. It's likely to wet for non marsh sp. so when it comes to ferns we are kinda stuck with Microsorum sp. and Bolbitis sp. or maybe Adiantum if it should be emersed from the get-go. But even the last one are rather dificult diva's among the ferns. :)

Hard to see from the pictures perspective how the situation is in relation to the water surface. Is it close under or slightly over and emersed? Also do not realy see the relation between fertilized tropica soil and epiphytic ferns, since the rhizome should never be covered for that type of plant. Makes me curious what your thoughts on the tropica soil are.. :)

Yeah know what you mean, I haven't really formulated any definite plans yet, just some loose ideas, that clearly need some more thought ;)
As far as ferns go I was thinking along the lines of Bolbitis heteroclita "difformis" and Crepidomanes cf. malabaricum.
And although not a fern Hygrophila pinnatifida.

Maybe in combination with something grassy to play with different textures. :) Eleocharis, actualy does pretty good emersed, it is sold potted (acicularis and viviparus i've seen) on dirt in pond shops as marginal pond plant. Or a small Cyperus.. Or maybe a Ophiopogon japonicus sold in about every LFS as aquariumplant but isn't. I still got one above the tank on the wood. But this one definitively needs soil, mine feeds from the water column and still is mini, not growing not dying. :)

@zozo You've got me thinking now Marcel. I like the idea of more than a few different textures rubbing shoulders, but on a small scale. There was a tiny rush I saw in Destination Aquatics, frustratingly I can't remember its name, its cultured in-vitro by the Italian growers Anubias.
I'm a bit wary of buying plants from the pond section for use in an aquarium...I've bought emersed Eleocharis before and found several leeches in amongst the roots and mud :sick:

Fantastic job with the roots! Are you just using standard hot glue to put them together?
Thanks, that's kind of you to say so. Yes just standard clear glue sticks ;)

I'm a bit wary of buying plants from the pond section for use in an aquarium

More meant it as inspirational source, seeing what they offer and if it does good in the garden in our summer climate, i guess it likely does equaly good emersed above an aquarium or wabi kusa indoors. And i was pleasantly surpriced to see how much tropical aquarium plants also are to be found in pondshops and already in rather mature sizes sometimes even flowering already. The ones i had in my hands and remember are Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Myriophyllum brasiliensis, different kinds of Rotalas, different kinds of Eleocharis. There likely are even more i do not know the name of. :). I can imagine your worries about using these plant, tho i'm already swapping back and forth from pond to tank for years now, never realy had an issue with what so ever. But never say never even tho i clean it very well and spray it with peroxide.

Another funny aspect is, in the pond shop i buy a pot fully matured large bush of 20 cm long Eleocharis acularis flowring for €2.95 and in the LFS a little pot 1/5 in pot size 4 cm juvenile for €4.95. o_O

Another funny aspect is, in the pond shop i buy a pot fully matured large bush of 20 cm long Eleocharis acularis flowring for €2.95 and in the LFS a little pot 1/5 in pot size 4 cm juvenile for €4.95. o_O
I know, that surprised me too, they are definitely better value for money ;)

The DSM (dry start method) seems to be working well...so far. The methodology has been:

1. Firstly, I added water to a level just below the surface of the substrate, and aim to keep it that way; spraying every day can raise the water level above the top of the substrate.
2. I've kept the tank sealed with clingfilm, but have let fresh air in for 5 minutes every day to replace the old stagnant air, hopefully this will prevent mould.
3. The plants have been sprayed on a daily basis with a dilute fertz solution, about 1ml TNC Complete per 0.33 of a litre; that's the capacity of my sprayer.

It's been around 10 days since the carpet was planted and I'm fairly pleased with the growth rate.
The moss has taken hold as well and appears to be growing; I was worried it wasn't getting enough moisture.
I've also pinched out the tops of the Staurogyne repens, hopefully this will encourage side shots and quicker coverage.

36878142631_6eb19e74da_b.jpg

Great looking tank there.
When you say you've pinched out the tops of the staurogyne repens do you literally take the top off ?
Do you replant these tops ?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@Samjpikey thanks. Yes, I just pinch out the apical meristem or the top most shoot. If you take it out a bit further down with a few leaves you can take off the bottom leaves and that gives you enough stem to replant if you like as well.

It's just like taking normal cutting really. Or pretty much the same as cutting your stems down to size and replanting the tops. Staurogyne repens will root and grow readily like any other stem.

Hello Tim,

Excelent journal and learning. This "Stau" is a tricky one plant ;)

Can´t wait to see this fully running!

Really Good stuff Tim. I do love your work.

Best regards.

Well it's been around 30 days since I started the DSM, and I think I'm almost there.
Maybe another couple of weeks or so and I'll be planting the stems and placing the buces in to cracks and crevices, and then...flooding :)

37233400572_8787b07557_b.jpg

37404552995_f6132b9c31_b.jpg

37262148101_78b247e24f_b.jpg

37215052376_ddbf831071_b.jpg

36552398664_949abd2ff4_b.jpg

37233401842_4605f8296b_b.jpg

37233399802_df4e00c936_b.jpg

37262150651_666709eb9e_b.jpg

Back