• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

.probably something to do with allelochemicals.
Or just simply to fresh.. :) The older and softer the wood the fermer they can and will attach. In nature epiphytes grow on bark or rather aged wood.. I've noticed it with Spiderwood i use emersed it took me over a year to finaly get some mosses surviving on it. The orchid i planted to it died wihin months, couldn't keep it moist enough with sphagnum only. This wood is to hard and to fresh to hold any water for longer than a few minutes. It stands emersed opun another submersed piece of wood. It very slowly soakes water up, each month a few milimeters higher. Where mosses have grown by now are actualy also helping i guess.. Very gradualy i see the moss climbing up and the wood soaks the water a milimeter higher then the moss. The moss follows.. A creepy multi year project.

I have some pieces of spiderwood in little closed bottles. Also over a year now, still can't get mossos to grow to it.

Even submersed i noticed significant differences in how fermly epiphytes attach, one tank contains Opuwa, a very dry and hard Savana wood from afrika, probably never got wet all the time laying around before collected. it was very fresh and very hard. Everything attaches rather loosly, i've nocked my fair share plants off the wood doing maintenance. And the other tank i got Mopani, also a African savana wood, but it was stored outside for years at the LFS backyard and was rather weathered and way softer. Something we like to avoid, but i did it anyway, noticed the epiphytes grow beter and attach more fermly to it. It also leached as hell for over a year, but had no further issues. Its a low tech and it grew more mosses to it in a shorter periode than the high tech with fresh Opuwa ever did.

Holidays are as good as over, so my attention has returned to the shallow.
I rejigged the right hand side of the scape a bit, and then got busy with the glue gun and added a bit more wood.
The carpet plants arrived today as well, along with some mini Christmas moss and Pelia, so I'll do some planting tomorrow.
I'm going to try the dry start method with this scape. The level substrate should lend itself to DSM pretty well :)

36733874516_d0147e578f_b.jpg

36733874726_fa99e177ce_b.jpg

This already is art as it is.. :) It reminds of my dentist, he has some art work sculptures standing in his waiting room made out of different pieces of driftwood. This scape could fit right in without a doubt.

Awesome scape.

The glue you use, is it the normal one or is it special?

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Ah!! Now i get it.. I though what the hell is that hair dryer for?? But it's a glue shooter..

Thanks Guys.
@zozo haha...yep Marcel it's a hot glue gun. I've never used one before - only managed to burn myself twice :meh:
It's the perfect tool for the job. Wood to wood really bonds, not so much wood to rock though, but still good enough.
@imak, nothing special, just clear glue sticks. I'm sure when the glue is dry it's pretty much inert.

Thanks, it's a mixture of Stauro, Monte Carlo, and Hydrocotyle sp. Japan.
And on the hardscape mini Christmas moss (I hope...its in its emersed state so difficult to tell at the mo') and Pelia, which has been grown immersed, so not sure how it'll do.

It blends in very well - funny how different "manzanita" is, local supply is all rounded branches, none of that "scalloped" root

Be interesting to see how the UG grows, someone had linked Oliver Knotts pbase site recently with his UG scape, I'd never seen it grow like that :wideyed:

Thanks, I think both types of wood work fairly well together.
Not sure what you mean about the UG, did you mean the mini Christmas moss on the DW? It's a similar colour.

My bad - I have Utricularia graminifolia stuck in mind for some reason o_O :oops:

Back