• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the planted tank

willzs

So after switching to marines a few years back, unfortunately work commitments have now mounted up too much for me to be able to give it the time it needed. This has meant I've now got a sumped marine tank that I've converted to a planted tank. Here's the current scape with my first lot of plants in.
20220925_181526.jpg

So the tank has settled in well and things seem to be starting to grow. There's a few spots of algae but that's to be expected with a new setup. Most annoyingly there's a bit of cyano on the sandbed. I'm hoping this clears up in a few weeks and it isn't on anything else so I'm not too worried yet.

really like this! well done, i bet it makes for a lot of viewing fun.

the cories still in there? they are such underrated fish, enjoy watching them sift through the sand in their gangs

So it's been a couple of months and the tank has grown quite a lot.

I've changed a few things since to try and make it easier to manage when I'm away with work;

I had to remove the diamond tetras as all the other fish were hiding from them all the time. These have been replaced by blue emperor tetras that I'm now waiting to colour up. I also realised that the flow was over 10x turn over and this was far too much. With this dropped everything seems a lot happier. The last change was the CO2, my bottle ran out and I hadn't got around to changing it but upped my liquid CO2 to compensate. This has stayed the same ever since and again all seems well.

Attachments

• 20230324_135152.jpg
    20230324_135152.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 58
Nice tank! Just out of interest, how did you catch your diamond tetras? Had a similar issue with my Columbian tetras, but trying to catch them seemed pointless in a heavily planted tank. To be fair, they seem to be settling down a bit and I think will get better the more fish are with them, but I'd still be tempted to remove them if there was an easy way to get them without ruining the setup.

Nice tank! Just out of interest, how did you catch your diamond tetras? Had a similar issue with my Columbian tetras, but trying to catch them seemed pointless in a heavily planted tank. To be fair, they seem to be settling down a bit and I think will get better the more fish are with them, but I'd still be tempted to remove them if there was an easy way to get them without ruining the setup.
Thanks. Luckily there's a large piece of wood in the middle of my tank so I just removed that. Took me about 10mins to catch them all with 2 nets.

Back