Information Responsive Styles/Themes for Mobile Devices

Discussion in 'Technical/Help' started by LondonDragon, 2 Feb 2013.

1. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

Some members have mentioned that its difficult to use the forum on mobile devices, not just the new forum software but also the old, with all the zoom in and out to be able to read it properly, I myself use it often on the phone and tablet and I am not a huge fan of Tapatalk but do use it occasionally, but Tapatalk looses some of the functionality, for example prefixes in the sales section etc....

By all means this is not a Tapatalk replacement but an alternative. I started work on this two weeks ago, but last week was sick so was not really in the mood to finish it off, today while watching some footie I have managed to put the final touches to it so here it goes.

What is responsive? It means that the entire board will adapt itself to your mobile screen size, so that you can read it normally without the need to keep zooming in and out, very similar to the Facebook/Twitter websites on mobile phones, off course the smaller the screen you will loose some visibility of some information but the key components are all there.

I made this as an option so that if you are on a mobile device you are not forced into these themes and its your choice if you want to use them or not, different people have different preferences and we want to make it simple for everyone and not make you frustrated by having to use a theme you are not happy with. The mobile theme at full resolution on your desktop will be exactly the same as before, only if you re-size the browser window you will see the forum adapting before your eyes!

So how to select the themes? On the bottom left hand corner there is a Style Choose, click on the current theme that for most will be UKAPS Light:

theme01.png

Then you will see the Theme selection, currently there is a Light and a Dark theme and also a Responsive equivalent of both:

styles.PNG

The following screen shots were taken using a Samsung Galaxy S3, different screen resolutions will vary, this is just to show how it works on a small screen.

Login screen:
    theme06.png

Forum list:
    [​IMG]

Sidebar is now located at the bottom of the forum list and when you tap on Sidebar it will display it (couple of bugs, overlap of recent topics/replies, Facebook likes not showing, in time will sort out, minimal):

[​IMG]

Main menu accessible by tapping Forum Navigation at the top:
    [​IMG]

Forum topics view:
    [​IMG]

Example thread view:
    [​IMG]

Hope this makes it easier for most to view the forum on a mobile device, had some testing done on Androids, iPhones, iPads, Blackberry's, etc.. by some members and so far the feedback has been good, even the heavy Tapatalk users seem to prefer this now.

So enjoy and happy surfing :)

2. LancsRick

LancsRick Member

This is a great update Paulo, many thanks for all the effort!

LondonDragon likes this.
  3. Iain Sutherland

Iain Sutherland Forum Moderator Staff Member

you the man Paulo!! Appreciate your hardwork, very very good addition. :thumbup:

LondonDragon likes this.
  4. Derek Tweedie

Derek Tweedie Member

Those updates look really good. I haven't had any issue sing this forum on a mobile device my phone has IE pre installed so I can use most web pages without issues. I have viewed this forum on other mobile devices and it can be a bit tedious. You guys have put a lot of time and effort into the new look forum and it looks awesome and here's a big :thumbup: keep up the great work.

LondonDragon likes this.
  5. tim

tim Forum Moderator Staff Member

Another top update Paulo very easy on the eyes and not having to zoom in or out is a huge difference excellent :)

LondonDragon likes this.
  6. LondonDragon

Glad you guys like it :)

7. Nathaniel Whiteside

Nathaniel Whiteside Member

Looks great on both iPhone and iPad 2. Nice one, as ever, Paulo.

Cheers for your efforts mate :thumbup:

8. OllieNZ

OllieNZ Member

Hi Paulo,
    I seem to be having issues with some images not being displayed. I think it may be somthing to do with photobucket? All the images in Goerge's Aquascapes thread load fine, but an image I just uploaded only shows
    Code:
    [IMG]http:// 
    on my phone but displays fine on IE on the laptop. I'm using Dolphin Browser on android

9. LondonDragon

Can you send me a link to the post in question? cheers

10. OllieNZ

OllieNZ Member

It was my sale thread you've posted in. Sorry cant link im on my phone again. Ive come across it in other threads too.

11. LondonDragon

Just tested on my phone, here a screen shot

Screenshot_2013-02-22-20-46-14.png

12. OllieNZ

OllieNZ Member

Heres how mine sees it
    SC20130222-221512_zps970c712d.png
    Im going to try a different browser an see of that helps.

13. LondonDragon

Responsive Themes were updated with the forum upgrade, these should now make it even easier to navigate on Tablets and mobile phones.

Ady34 likes this.