• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Request for feedback on stocking of large tank: tank 2 8x4x22 (ft,ft,inch) ~approx 450 gallon

Pyrrhulina are upper middle level swimmers. P. brevis are quite good looking.

Most schooling fish only school when they don't feel safe, as said above, and shoal when safe. I don't really think you should aim to create an environment where fish don't feel comfortable.

Most schooling fish only school when they don't feel safe, as said above, and shoal when safe. I don't really think you should aim to create an environment where fish don't feel comfortable.
I was under the impression that rummy nose actively school even when safe but that was 2nd hand information.

I would think that Pyrrhulina are too small and likely to be eaten? P. brevis are also pretty small and a cold water fish.

Pyrrhulina brevis grow larger than most 'normal' tetras. Around 8 cm. Most imports come from Peru, so I wouldn't worry about temperature. Maybe you're thinking of P. australis?

Of all the rummy nose tetras only Petitella georgiae is sometimes found in clear water, if I remember correctly. Hemigrammus rhodostomus and Hemigrammus bleheri (most commonly sold as rummy nose) are blackwater fish.

I'd love to show you a video of them in a darker tank, because this one is still too brightly lit, but it might give an impression:

Pyrrhulina brevis grow larger than most 'normal' tetras. Around 8 cm. Most imports come from Peru, so I wouldn't worry about temperature. Maybe you're thinking of P. australis?

Of all the rummy nose tetras only Petitella georgiae is sometimes found in clear water, if I remember correctly. Hemigrammus rhodostomus and Hemigrammus bleheri (most commonly sold as rummy nose) are blackwater fish.

I'd love to show you a video of them in a darker tank, because this one is still too brightly lit, but it might give an impression:

I misread your post there is a p. brevis that is a loach ;) Do you know much about Pyrrhulina spilota ? Also should i be concern that a chocolate cichild would eat these or go after sterbai cory?

Last edited:
I misread your post there is a p. brevis that is a loach ;) Do you know much about Pyrrhulina spilota ? Also should i be concern that a chocolate cichild would eat these or go after sterbai cory?

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't really like keeping large fish. I kept P. scalare 'Rio Nanay' before, but nothing larger than that, so I can't really help you concerning chocolate cichlids (Hypselecara temporalis I think?).

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't really like keeping large fish. I kept P. scalare 'Rio Nanay' before, but nothing larger than that, so I can't really help you concerning chocolate cichlids (Hypselecara temporalis I think?).
Yes that is the correct species; i might skip them doing so esp with the smaller geo will make things easier. Still wouldn't angelfishes eat the Pyrrhulina spilota - they don't look much larger than cardinals.

I kept P. brevis with the P. scalare 'Rio Nanay', they were left alone and never in danger. They're quite stocky fish.

If you want to keep P. spilota with P. scalare, I think you're best off growing out the P. spilota and then focus on the angel fish. I don't think they'd prey on them. Higher bodied but smaller characins like Hyphessobrycon sp. are safe aswell.

So something like
20 sterbai
14 urostriatum (these don't hang at the bottom)
7 festum
6 angels
8-12 geo m/u.
30 Pyrrhulina spilot
Some random plecos (mostly 6 inch or smaller; L204, L397, L128, ...)

Back