• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replacement metal halide bulbs

I've got an Arcadia Series 4 pendant luminaire and I'm struggling to find a replacement metal halide lamp for it. The current one is working, but I'd like to have a spare to hand. Any suggestions?
Specification : Metal halide 150w - 5200k double ended rx7s
Geisemann in Germany do a suitable lamp (at 4200k) but (post Brexit) shipping is unclear from their website - any UK stockists out there?

When i was using metal halide i had great results growing plants with this: Osram Powerstar Excellence HQI-TS 150W D RX7S-24. It is rated at 5450k but there is a 4200k version as well, and they are easy to find.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I have just replaced the MH units in my Geissmann infinity with led floodlights and still have the 2 150w bulbs if you would like them as spares? They were both working when I took them out. Lamp says "coral" but they look white, I liked the colour but not the heat.
Cheers
John

replacement metal halide lamp
With a bit of luck an internet search should get you a bulb to fit. Look at wattage and type of bulb, then temperature. These and mercury lamps were never specifically designed for aquariums but are 'off the shelf' commercial bulbs and control units re-packaged for niche markets., think of UVC and Glowlux bulbs/tubes.

Always fancied metal halides for excellent colour rendering and efficiency, but cost was always a factor.

God luck with your search.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

And John, thanks very much indeed for the offer of the spares, but I think I'll go for the Osram suggested, as it's nearest the colour of my current lamp.

Follow-up question if I may:
End fittings showing up in my search for that Osram lamp vary. There's this one, which looks like what I've currently got:
20210110_124228.jpg

but most look like this :
20210110_124246.jpg

Are they interchangeable?

New lamp installed. This is what the old one looked like - tricky to remove, as the ceramic end caps crumbled.
20210113_142316.jpg

And the full reference - I've checked, this is the 5200k version.
Thanks again for all the help, people.
20210113_143420.jpg

You should take a picture of how the tank looks with that bulb and compare it with your old bulb.

There is an 8k bulb I really like the appearance of.

I'm doing a blackout right now, but I'll take a picture once it's done. I'm guessing that it'll be hard to see any difference, especially as the exposure will adjust to compensate for the change.

Back