• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

removing scuds

Nick16

Hi all, i have noticed some of these small critters today in my tank and also my first dead shrimp in months. Im not saying they are 100% related but its a funny co-incidence and could have been a newly moulted vulnerable shrimp.

Are there any way to control them?

Im looking towards some fish perhaps? But unsure what types. My best best is some boras briggittea, which ive kept before but im not sure how many shrimp they will munch? Also being upper water fish, i dont know if they will hunt out the scuds?

Are theyre any tips to keeping the population down without tearing the tank apart / harming my shrimp / sitting for hours with a turkey baster?

Small corydoras?

Cheers

Hi all,
They may be Asellus, rather than Scuds Gammarus. Gammarus swim on their sides and are flattened laterally, Asellus are flattened from top to bottom, and don't really swim. <http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Asellus+aquaticus>.

Asellus_aquaticus,I_MWS48243.jpg

If they are Asellus they are very difficult to get rid off, but entirely harmless. I like them and have them in the tanks, but I appreciate they aren't to every-ones taste.

cheers Darrel

Hmm they dont look like that at all, they are much more rounded and cyclindical shape and are white - but are only about 1mm so its really hard to see. I womder if theyre potentially juveniles of something at this early stage
They could perhaps be seed shrimp?

I not bothered if theyre harmless which IIRC seed shrimp are, but they look unsightly, so its just finding something to remove them and not alter my shrimp population.

I dont have anything in other tanks that would help and the BNs wouldnt touch them and plus they would uproot everything?

Would dwarf corydoras be an idea as they snuffle around in the substrate?

Hi all,
Hmm they dont look like that at all, they are much more rounded and cyclindical shape and are white - but are only about 1mm so its really hard to see. They could perhaps be seed shrimp? I not bothered if theyre harmless which IIRC seed shrimp are, but they look unsightly, so its just finding something to remove them and not alter my shrimp population. I dont have anything in other tanks that would help and the BNs wouldnt touch them and plus they would uproot everything? Would dwarf corydoras be an idea as they snuffle around in the substrate?
OK from the description almost certainly Ostracods (Seed shrimps). Have a look at this thread: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/aquatoon.32994/page-4>. Some fish will eat them, but they will almost certainly eat your shrimplets as well. I don't have any Ostracods in the tank with Dwarf Cories, so they may well work, and they are shrimp safe. They spend most of their time off the bottom, but they feed there. If you get Dwarf Cories they really like Grindal and Micro-worms.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for you help darrel (some fantastic discussion and photography in that thread)

I might look at investing in some Dwarf corries, and monitor both populations

Mine are thriving on Catappa bark and Alder Cones, also whatever I put in for the shrimp they'll grab a share.

They'll have this cone down to the cob in a month or two!

:)

Yeah i have alder cones, banana leaves, oak leaves, mulberry leaves, catappa leaves and nettle leaves in there so theyre on everything! The problem is they feed off the same stuff as the shrimp so you cant cut down. I had cucumber in there yesterday but they didnt get a look in

Back