• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reloading filter cartridge

Susanna

This may be covered elsewhere but I would like to ask your advice.

I have a 30l tank 'Qubic 30 LED' which comes with a built in filter, this filter came with 1 cartridge which was loaded as follows (top to bottom):

Wide Grained Black (scouring pad like sponge)
loose Carbon/Zeolite
White Filter Pad.

the water is drawn upwards from the bottom so the first thing is the fine stuff is removed.

Now the replacement cartridges I bought consisted of a layer of the black Sponge layer of carbon etc and another layer of sponge

To be honest this was crazy as there was virtually nothing to keep the loose carbon contained and I had a job cleaning particles out of the filter inlet/impeller.

So I refilled the next cartridge as the original.

What I would like to know is what are peoples thoughts on the arrangement of filter media and suggestions on how to optimise the performance of my admittedly small but aesthetically pleasing filter

Hi,

Ditch the carbon and zeolite because it doesn't add much value... Active carbon only is active for a few weeks, then it needs to be replaced.

Zeolite has similar properties as active carbon but can be regenerated if washed in saltwater. But in this case it is both mixed together and it can't.

Price-wise both are overrated and no necessity. More waste of money then anything else.. As long as its active both might help to keep the water a tad clearer, but with small volumes and a weekly 50% water change you might never notice the difference.

Simply use the sponges only, put an extra sponge where the other stuff used to be ... :) And clean all out when necessary...

:thumbup:

What zozo says, but do keep the filter pad at bottom, as that will stop most of the detritus. In a bucket of tank water rinse that out once a month, replace every 6 or so.

Thanks folks, that was interesting about the carbon I guess I'm a few decades beyond the curve on filter media.

With regard to the filter pad at the bottom isn't that kind of counter intuitive surely you take the largest material out first then work up to the fine stuff?

So i have the same tank which i bought a few days ago ive just ditched the carbon and put the coarse black sponge at the bottom a layer of ceramic media and filter sponge at the top.. how are you getting on with just sponge?
20200621_084127.jpg
20200621_084140.jpg

Hi Aels105 nice to see I'm not the only one with one of these. I went back to the black sponge at the bottom with a layer of wool/fibre in the middle and black sponge at the top I placed a sachet of clear x behind the top sponge as I had a spike during a water test a few months ago.

What I did do the other week was not change the wool/fibre when changing the filter and ended up with a flood as the water could not go through the pad and squirted up around it. this leeched over the glass and down the back of the tank. luckily I only lost 5mm of water before i noticed it.

I was having kittens in case it had compromised the 'wood' that the unit the tank was on weakening it.

so i'm going to have to be careful of that in the future.

To be honest the built in filter with this tank is really quite effective and has quite a good surface movement on it

Back