• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reliable testing methods?

Nick potts

After being a marine/reef hobbyist for many years, testing is one thing that is drilled into pretty much all hobbyists, it's very much a test test test community, with things like dedicated ICP (Inductively coupled plasma) labs popping up from a number of companies.

Now I know on this forum that test kits are not recommended, and there accuracy and reliability is said to be poor.

My question is, for people like me who enjoy testing/gizmos etc, are there any reasonably priced, but more importantly accurate ways to test our water? For me personally nitrate would be a good one to be able to reliably test, but all of the macro and possible micro nutrients would be nice.

Great question Nick, I'm following this out of interest too. If test kits and water reports are seemingly unreliable then what should I use?!
I think water reports from your water supplier should be fine, they must have rather good labs for this sort of thing.

I use RO water for my tanks, but I have always liked testing my water, maybe I am odd, but it was always a part of the hobby I enjoyed.

Hi all,
For me personally nitrate would be a good one to be able to reliably test
Your best bet is probably an <"ion selective electrode">.
I think water reports from your water supplier should be fine,
They will be, they have an analytical lab. with hundreds of thousands pounds of kit and scientists who can use it.
If test kits .............. are seemingly unreliable then what should I use?!
Conductivity and <"temperature"> are <"pretty straight forward">.

My honest suggestion is that the best methods are<" inferential ones">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Your best bet is probably an <"ion selective electrode">.

They will be, they have an analytical lab. with hundreds of thousands pounds of kit and scientists who can use it.

Conductivity and <"temperature"> are <"pretty straight forward">.

My honest suggestion is that the best methods are<" inferential ones">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel.

I have looked into ISE's before, but the cost if prohibitive, I have also looked at the chemical kits from the likes of Hach and Hanna instruments, but are they worth the £100-200 price tag?, especially as they still rely on a colorimetric analysis which i find hard to distinguish on a lot of kits

Hi all,
I have looked into ISE's before, but the cost if prohibitive,
They aren't cheap, <"dissolved oxygen meters"> would also fulfill the "reasonably accurate" criteria, but are another expensive bit of kit.
I have also looked at the chemical kits from the likes of Hach and Hanna instruments, but are they worth the £100-200 price tag?,
<"Semi-quantitative titrimetric methods"> are likely to be more accurate, particularly if they include standards and you follow <"the scientific method">.
The Future is likely going to be Microfluidics and Lab on chip devices for water testing, hopefully it gets so mass produced and cheap it becomes a feature on your phone!
We've been looking at these, particularly for projects involving <"Citizen Science">.

cheers Darrel

Back