• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reliable heater recommendations, 45l shrimp tank.

The_storm

As the post says, can anyone please help me by recommending a reliable heater for a 45 litre shrimp tank?

Thanks

Thats what im on the hunt for now. I like the sound of those Superfish heaters.

Depending on what temperature you want, 50W might be a little underpowered for 45 L. I have a 100 W HiDom in my 40 L and that's inexpensive and stably keeps the temp to 25C without undue effort. The only thing to watch out for is that you MUST unplug it before you do a water change - if it is plugged in whilst out of the water it will destroy itself.

Even with those recommendations there always seems to be those whos heater is not working or packed in. I find that with ALL the heaters ive researched. Whats going on with that? Why are aquarium heaters so finicky, and on times unreliable?

Even with those recommendations there always seems to be those whos heater is not working or packed in. I find that with ALL the heaters ive researched. Whats going on with that? Why are aquarium heaters so finicky, and on times unreliable?
Well, most aquarists use a heater and the overwhelming majority experiences no issues but you only hear about the problems ;) You can always chose a heater that has demonstrated to be quite reliable (such as a Schego or Eheim/Jäger). Getting a heater from one of the many unknown brands out there might entail a higher risk, but I have no data to back up this claim. And if you want to further reduce the risk, then connect the heater to an electrical plug controlled by a thermometer probe...

I decided on an Eheim thermocontrol, 75W.
I set it to 21 degrees and have checked it a fair few times, at various times of the day and night. So far it's impressive, the highest temperature on the probe is 21.5 but its usually somewhere between 21.0 and 21.3.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back