• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regular silicon hoses on Fluval filters?

ChrisP

Has anyone removed the Fluval ribbed hoses and put regular clear silicone ones on? I'd like to add some lilly pipes but to do this I think they best way would be to switch to regular hoses since the plastic ones can't be pushed over a lilly. I'm not too sure how to go about this since the Fluval hoses have push connectors on the end :facepalm:

Changed mine on my FX6 and just used jubilee clip
IMG_20170311_120303488.jpg

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Has anyone removed the Fluval ribbed hoses and put regular clear silicone ones on? I'd like to add some lilly pipes but to do this I think they best way would be to switch to regular hoses since the plastic ones can't be pushed over a lilly. I'm not too sure how to go about this since the Fluval hoses have push connectors on the end :facepalm:
Hi
What Fluval filter is it?

I use clear hose on 206 306 406 all work fine

Cheers
Ryan

Thanks guys, can anyone recommend a place to buy some 12/16 hose from? Aqua Essential sell superfish hose, not sure if that is any good.

Hi, there are a few suppliers on ebay. They sell normal silicon hose which comes in various diameters including the standard filter sizes of 12/16 16/22 etc. These hoses are the same as the green or brown ones that come with aquarium filters except they are clear and have no branding. They are cheaper too! I have used them for the last few years on my JBL filters with no problems. Cheers.

Yep. The regular Eheim 16/22 fit on my 406.

I think you are confusing silicon (an glass like semiconducting element used to make transistors), silicone (soft rubber based on silicon siloxane compounds) and PVC (clear or coloured plastic tube based on polyvinylchloride).

I have never seen anyone using silicone tubing on their filters, in fact silicone tubing in the required diameter for a filter (say 16mm) would have to have a monsterously thick wall to prevent it stretching or collapsing. Silicone tubing is use in air lines, 4/6mm type.

So what you are actually looking for is PVC tubing as used by virtually all the filter manufacturers. So quick search of Ebay under PVC tube reveals what you want. You probably want "thickwall" version 16/22 or 19/25 or 25/31 for filters as less prone to kinking and collapsing. Also available in green and grey and with reinforcing like Zeus has. Reinforced is nice, as it won't kink or collapse, but its bend radius is much larger.

You can slide PVC pipe over glass lily pipes by dipping the pipe end in boiling water to soften it up first, before sliding it over. My LFS uses silicone (not silicon :D) oil on lily pipe before sliding the pipe on. You get silicone oil from DIY stores for lubricating push fit plumbing fixings.

Most hose sold to Aquarists is either PVC or Vinyl. Some in the USA say they use Silicone hose as discussed in this thread:
Sadly I’ve not found any good quality Platinum cured silicon hose at a reasonable price yet to give it a try.
Have you seen the cost of some stuff these days?! I wanted a couple of Eheim double tap disconnects. Prices were around the £30 - £37 each for the 16mm ones. Luckily I managed to find a vendor still doing them for £20. ;)

Well it wasn't easy/cheap. The pipe is hard to work with and doesn't like going round corners - Got mine from https://www.aquariumplumbing.co.uk/
View attachment 197791
Home Depot sells it too(this is the size needed for Fluval 107/207/307/407)...

I wouldn't bother wasting money though as braided tubing is designed for higher pressure applications. It will offer little benefit for this application over standard vinyl tubing...

Back