• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regular dodecahedron bowl

Mrs Oxgreen bought me this container for Christmas/birthday*. It's intended to go on its side, with the open segment pointing roughly sideways, and you're meant to plant small plants in it. Mrs Oxgreen thought it would be good for succulents, but the lack of drainage would make watering critical.

However, I have put the open segment upwards and filled it with water, and it appears to be watertight. I reckon it would make a superb little aquatic bowl, possibly with some shrimps eventually.

Its capacity is a smidgen under two litres when empty. I will probably not put any hardscape in it at all, apart from some substrate - possibly some garden soil topped with gravel.

A slight anxiety is whether the metal frame might be an alloy that releases copper into the water, which might make it unsuitable for shrimps. I will just have to try it and see.

I will probably use an Ikea Jansjö LED light, as I've used that successfully for my slightly larger bowl.

What plants do you reckon I should try?

Here it is...

IMG_2692.JPG

* Having a birthday just three days before Christmas, I can never remember which gifts are for my birthday and which are for Christmas.

I personally wouldn't do shrimp in it...I've seen it done online; but IMO 5 litres would be the absolute minimum...

My slightly larger bowl is about 4 litres total size, but only contains a little over 2 litres with substrate and a piece of driftwood in it. I've successfully added cherry shrimp to it, and they're thriving - I've even seen a berried female. I'm considering doing a "cull" of wrongly-coloured shrimp from my main tank to restore the genetic balance back towards the pure blue that they're meant to be, so I would use some of those. Obviously it would only be a handful, and only once the bowl is fully established.

Why don't you try a wabi kusa instead? I don't like the idea of anything living in that.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back