• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Referb and restart after 30 years. Low tech.

Went to take some pics today and found these on the memory card.
Day378.JPG
Day385.JPG

Day 378 and Day385

Everything is OK. I am still fighting the filament algae.

The real reason for taking pics.
I finally finished designing and 3D printing a new spray bar and pipe work.
3D printers are very finickity. It has taken a long time to tame. When you think you have beaten it, it turns around and bites you on the ass.
Anyway the pics:
New spray bar 2.JPG
came home with this bag o bits on the last day of work until 3rd January.
New spray bar 3.JPG
Tipped them out and started to clean up the biggest bit (shiny one in the middle) that I managed to print on the last day at work. That one piece took 5hrs 27mins to print.

The number of times I have printed some of these bit and the print has failed for various reasons.
  • Blocked nozzle, had to replace it as it was beyond cleaning out.
  • Broken extruder head, had to get a new one as it had cracked in half between heater block and heatsink.
  • PLA filament took on too much moisture from the air, had to buy a filament dryer box .
  • Bowden extruder stopped working several times, had to strip it down and clean all the slivers of PLA that had built up.
  • Filament stopped and started feeding, Bowden tube had sharp edges where it was cut to length. Had to chamfer the inner diamiter of the tube.
  • Several other mishaps on the way.
I finally seemed to be able to diagnose all the issues that can occur with 3D printers!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::banghead::angelic:o_O

New spray bar 4.JPG
New spray bar 5.JPG

All the bits laid out (note 1 taken before I cleaned the big bit. 2 taken after).

Now to figure out how long all the bits of tube need to be to put it together.
New spray bar 1.JPG

Install it on Day483.
Day483.JPG
looks so much better.
The long vertical spray bar is in the substrate right to the bottom glass. The short horizonal spray bar is higher and shorter than the old one.

I noticed just how much more flow I get now. So much that I had to take out one of the two medium sponges. The head was pumping all its water out of its chamber and not enough was getting through the filter media. I now have 3 coarse, 1 medium and 1 fine.

Time will tell if this will improve the growth of the ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII MINI. I have been putting the TNC complete dose right on top of it after water change and I seems to be responding.
Also I noticed that this week the filament algae had grown a lot less. Could this be down to the slight reduction in outside air temp this past week?
Maybe I will try dropping the temp by a degree and see (once it gets warm again).

Sorry I have gone back to doggerel writing again. I will stop now.

PS have a nice festive season and a great new year.

So it's been a year and a day since I updated this.
Got quite a few pics.
First one Day 497
Day 497.JPG
it looks a lot different now. The ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII MINI is still visible in this shot. Well as it goes on we will see its slow demise.

Then we have a sequence of 44 days between Day 575 18/3/23 and Day 621 4/5/23. I will post 11 days at a time, so I don't get confused as to where I am.
Day 575.JPG
Day 576.JPG
Day 577.JPG
Day 578.JPG
Day 579.JPG
Day 580.JPG
Day 581.JPG
Day 582.JPG
Day 583.JPG
Day 584.JPG
Day 585.JPG

So day 620 and 621
Day 620.JPG
Day 621.JPG

The ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII MINI is now not visible except for the floating bits around the tank. The stem rotted out under the substrate and what ever I did did not help. It is still there, but very small. I am fighting snail shell attrition, but more on that later. The rest of the plants are doing well. I love the way the moss is slowly covering the filter. I am having to trim it off the front of the spray bar, as it is so dense iy is restricting the flow.

For some months now I have been thinking about adding some Cherry Shrimp. First thing was to shrimp prof the filter. Added lots of fine foam in all the places the shrimp could get in and around the filter. I know, it wont stop them as I am sure I will miss some ingress points. I have added some small pieces of bog wood (back left hand corner) to give them somewhere to hide. I have also let the HELANTHIUM BOLIVIANUM populate the open area by the filter.
Day813.JPG

Got to get the Snail shell attraction sorted. I know it is a lack of calcium, so I tried adding a few bits of Cotswold stone (lucky I live in the Cotswolds) to see if that would help. Cotswold stone is made up of Calcium carbonate. I noticed that my KH and GH is slowly dropping and thought this might help that as well. Just got some small bits from the garden and poured boiling water over them a few times, just in case of something nasty living on it.
Day 841.JPG

Had a bit of a trim. It was getting hard to clear the build up of Snail droppings.
A few weeks ago I started feeding the snails, every two days, with shrimp food. If you look closely, this has stopped the shell attraction. The new shell growth is no longer white. Must watch my Nitrate levels , with all this extra food I might get a spike.

So now the final post.
I think I am ready for shrimp? All the water parameters were on the money except I did get a Nitrate spike. I think the tank is now cycled after 850 day running.
Day 850.JPG

Everything is looking healthy today.

Sorry for so many pics. That why I make them small. If anyone wants to look at them, then they just have to click on the pic to see full size.

Maybe I will not leave it for a year next time.

I had no plans to have any live stock except snails. It was purely a plant tank. But now I thought why not just a few shrimp.
Ah I see.

Well, if your dGH is a reasonable 4-6 and your EC is not excessive your should be set up for success with shrimps I would say.

EDIT: if your water is on the harder side (saw a prior post suggesting your dGH is 12), Amano shrimps might be a good option.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Well about 4 days ago I went and got 4 fire red cherry shrimp from my LFS. After hours of acclimatising with them in a Tupperware container, with the water from the bag floating on the surface and adding small amounts of tank water every 10mins. I caught them in a shrimp net and released them into the tank. Even found a 5th very small (2mm) one. Now I am having trouble finding them. Water change day today and I could not find any. Stared at the tank for hours and finally saw one tail poking out from behind the filter outflow pipe. They seem to be very inactive?

Back