• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Rock Iwagumi - 17 Dec update

Hamza

Hello Folks,

Been a long time and finally I am starting my new scape.

Its a 70x40x40cm tank
Had these beautiful set of rocks lying around for long with right proportion for this tank, so I decided to try an iwagumi layout with these.

After doodling a bit, this is a decent hardscape I could come up with these rocks.

I do have a lot of scratches on this tank and I will soon replace it before adding anything else to it, so again I have to pull this out and redo it.

Let me know if anyway I could improve on this scape.

DSC_6317s%252520%2525282%252529.jpg

DSC_6321s%252520%2525282%252529.jpg

This is what I have in mind as for the planting goes...cant decide which one to go for.
option 1
DSC_6322.JPG

option 2
DSC_6323.JPG

Visually, I like the second one better but for a few months now, I dont want it to be a high maintenance setup with a ton of stems.

Some of those rocks will disappear with the planting, but looking good so far :)

I will like a few rocks to partially disappear, but for detailing bits dont worry I'll adjust the substrate right before planting so that HC/MC(most probably) will come up to the current level of substrate.

I struggle with rock layout so take this critique with a large grain of salt ;)

looking at the photo, I feel as if the rocks form another box inside a box ... if you draw an imaginary line from front to back of aquarium following the outer edge of the rocks, this line almost parallels the sides of the tank - note this may be a distortion of the photo & much less pronounced in real life ... similarly the line of rocks at the front seems very symmetric (again likely less so IRL)
These lines will be obscured with planting so they may not really be relevant :)

The juxtaposition of the tallest stone with it's supporting stone seem a little contrived, again this will soften & be obscured with plants.

You've done a very nice scape with these rocks in the size of tank you have :thumbup:

For planting, if you've an established filter, go for the grasses .. if not, begin with the stems & then gradually transition to grasses ... you might interplant from the start or have strategically placed groups of grasses (eg, tenellus, parvula) that are encouraged to invade the stem areas.
This rock color will look very ice with contrasting greens from the plants

Nice pencil drawings!

IMG_20151216_233056.jpg

Hi guys, update time on this scape.
Took me some time to replace the tank and redid the entire thing for past couple of days.

The old scape didnt completely represent iwagumi layout somehow in true sense, so I reworked it for a more natural and proper iwagumi setting.

What do you think?

That's a nice hardscape! Will do a great iwagumi. What plants are you thinking of? I would only plant low growing, the rock work is so good you don't need any stems

View attachment 79213

Hi guys, update time on this scape.
Took me some time to replace the tank and redid the entire thing for past couple of days.

The old scape didnt completely represent iwagumi layout somehow in true sense, so I reworked it for a more natural and proper iwagumi setting.

What do you think?
i like it alot. better than the first layout. has more opeing space to work with plants

cheers
ryan

Thank you guys for your kind words! I am glad that I did the right thing..

@joakimli I am open for plant options.
I want to go for the harmonous blend of various textures of FG plants we often see in Amano Sans's initial works.
At the moment am thinking of HC, mud glosso, ug and haigrass.

@Ryan...thats what I exactly thought, earlier scape gave me very little space to showcase plants.

Cant wait to finish the light fixture and start with this scape.

Thank you guys for your kind words! I am glad that I did the right thing..

@joakimli I am open for plant options.
I want to go for the harmonous blend of various textures of FG plants we often see in Amano Sans's initial works.
At the moment am thinking of HC, mud glosso, ug and haigrass.

@Ryan...thats what I exactly thought, earlier scape gave me very little space to showcase plants.

Cant wait to finish the light fixture and start with this scape.

Hi Hamza, With the planting HC and Glosso as the FG plant. Hair grass at the back running through the HC and G towards the front??? Leave out the UG as it does not like ferts in the substrate and has really slow growth rate.The other plants like ferts and will just out grow the UG.

You could do a DSM with UG on wood or Wabi-Kusa style on a stocking :D:D And place them where needed ;)

Back