• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red-nose pinocchio shrimp die early?

frothhelmet

A few years ago we had some discussions around red-nose shrimp and how basically they do not adapt to freshwater and all die inexplicably after 6 months max. Is this still the case? Has anyone kept them longer than this? I still like them and wonder if any of these issues have been solved by anyone.

Cheers

These are one of my favourite shrimp though not often available - I've had some live for a couple years in apparent health

But just got some recently that have not done well at all - they didn't ship in well (I arranged to be there when boxes landed) though some neo's seemed grand
These guys were all opaque (always a bad sign with shrimp) & very quiet, DOA's just seem to "disappear" rather than becoming notable pink bodies :confused:

I brought 20 home anyway - they went into a bare bottom Q tank with plants & Eheim BioMech scattered about about + some filter sponge (in addition to a small intank filter providing low flow)
I'd guess maybe 10 remaining after 2-3 weeks, some of these are looking grand, growing well, translucent, lively, bright "stripes" ( they really are lovely with those neon glo stripes), but others are still struggling
There were also a few mystery shrimp in the group - this is not uncommon with these shipments, sometimes the entire lot will be "mystery" shrimp - though perhaps ofttimes is more accurate statement, this shop orders them in regularly from apparent different suppliers and last 5 bags have arrived with red-line in 2 of 5

This is the best description of the "red-nose" shrimp I get (sometimes)

A brief summary with references - this seems to indicate that mature shrimp may live in freshwater but brackish is required for larval development

There are other very similar looking shrimp that may be shipping - note these do live, breed in freshwater

But back to you query, sorry no solutions

Apologies on the shouting text but for some reason text manipulation within the posting box is often recalcitrant

Two years is decent. Did they die for no reason or a mistake? It would be cool to get some freshwater breeding red-noses. I don't know of anyone who has them. Is anyone going to Australia soon and wants to Han Solo it?

Back