• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red epiphyte and/or moss

Simmo

Hi,
I'd like to ask if there are red epiphyte plants or red moss for a low tech tank (Juwel Lido LED) as I'd like to attach some to wood?
Had a search but without success and I don't have a lot of knowledge about the species available.
Many thanks
Dave

There is no known red coloured aquatic moss in the trade as far as I know. All tho Sphagnum rubellum moss grows in wet conditions and can colour red, but it's a rather difficult moss to keep alive in a relative warm indoor environment. But there is a Rhodophyta Algae (BBA family) that roams the trade sold as Red Moss truly named Caloglossa sp. beccarii. I'm not sure if you want this one, since it is an alga and once you have it it might be there for ever-growing at places you won't like it to grow.

But this picture bellow titled Red Moss in a river stream in France says something like it probably exists... Yet not found by an aquarist/scaper... Maybe a matter of time... :)
red-moss-in-fresh-water-picture-id1046015724.jpg

No idea about its ID and if its a Red Moss in random conditions or maybe not a moss at all .. Would be nice to find out... For now, I can't help any more than this.

And there seems to be a Microsorum Pteropus sp. Red, never seen it for real it exists but rarely in the trade. There is also an M. Pteropus sp. Orange I've had, maybe still have dunno actually. But this one only develops Orange leaf tip under high light and CO². It could be similar to the Red version.

Then we have <Lagennandra meebóldii Red> that is an Araceae family same as the Anubias it should be able to grow epi[hytic. With this plant, I also have no idea if it is/stays Red in all conditions.

I know there is a Facebook page from a Polish shop named "The world of Aquatic moss" you might want to check it out. They often offer rather rare mosses for sale.

Hi all,
...... are red epiphyte plants or red moss for a low tech tank (Juwel Lido LED) as I'd like to attach some to wood?......Had a search but without success and I don't have a lot of knowledge about the species available.
There are a couple of ornamental Red Algae that may be available <("Caloglossa beccarii & Thorea hispida")>. I think that @killi69 & @zozo used to grow Caloglossa?

cheers Darrel

There is no known red coloured aquatic moss in the trade as far as I know. All tho Sphagnum rubellum moss grows in wet conditions and can colour red, but it's a rather difficult moss to keep alive in a relative warm indoor environment. But there is a Rhodophyta Algae (BBA family) that roams the trade sold as Red Moss truly named Caloglossa sp. beccarii. I'm not sure if you want this one, since it is an alga and once you have it it might be there for ever-growing at places you won't like it to grow.

But this picture bellow titled Red Moss in a river stream in France says something like it probably exists... Yet not found by an aquarist/scaper... Maybe a matter of time... :)
red-moss-in-fresh-water-picture-id1046015724.jpg

No idea about its ID and if its a Red Moss in random conditions or maybe not a moss at all .. Would be nice to find out... For now, I can't help any more than this.

And there seems to be a Microsorum Pteropus sp. Red, never seen it for real it exists but rarely in the trade. There is also an M. Pteropus sp. Orange I've had, maybe still have dunno actually. But this one only develops Orange leaf tip under high light and CO². It could be similar to the Red version.

Then we have <Lagennandra meebóldii Red> that is an Araceae family same as the Anubias it should be able to grow epi[hytic. With this plant, I also have no idea if it is/stays Red in all conditions.

I know there is a Facebook page from a Polish shop named "The world of Aquatic moss" you might want to check it out. They often offer rather rare mosses for sale.
Fabulous answer, thank you! I will need to digest all that you’ve written, yes I’m fairly sure I’ve seen reddish/orange sphagnum (?) in the woods hereabouts. That stream photo is really remarkable! Also appreciate your point that certain spp are only red in certain conditions. Will have a search for the moss shop 😀

Hi all,

Might be <"Sphagnum magellanicum">.

cheers Darrel

If you can pick it in nature it's definitively worth a try... I bought several times life Sphagnum from Araflora, exotic flora & more

But till now it was a waste of money, it never survived semi-aquatic in an open-top tank. My best guess it's to warm... It might be better in an unheated aquarium. I know the nurseries simply grow it outdoors and it seems to be relatively simple to propagate. Now I say so I actually wonder why I never tried that myself while I had it. Duh!?

Back