• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommended aquscaping tools?

Wulfen

Hello all.
What tools do you recommend for first planting then maintaining the aquascape?
Lots of varying prices out there. I don't want cheap tat but neither do I want to spend money that's not needed.
Cheers

I have a Viv wave scissors and a straight tweezer. It’s a good price/quality item from eBay. That’s all you need. For general maintenense I have a tube brush, a tooth brush, a sponge and a Eheim algae scraper.

Tools I use In general
-Wave scissors (worth paying extra for decent dennerle or Tropica ones, weighted much better) I found viv a good make in past, never used their scissors though.
-Small tweezers
-Massive dennerle tweezers (amazingly useful, stops you getting your arm wet!)
-Small spring scissors* (use them for most things nowadays, brilliant for trimming carpet plants)
-Normal Tooth brush
-Tooth brush with metal brush bit (£2 for 3 from Wilko) brilliant for cleaning hardscape
1.5m bendy brush for cleaning glassware and filter tubing
-Dennerle cleanator sponge (couldn’t live without it!)
-Big bottles of basic Tesco white bottle bleach (cleaning co2 diffuser and glassware)

*i think Dave at AG still has a pair in his bargain bin for £8 if you are calling him.

Ps. What drop checker did you order from AG? The hang on ones that he has got are nice.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention a substrate leveller -
Proper one or old credit card or set square type ruler thing!
Also paint brush
And Super glue, gel or liquid depending on what you are using it for (maybe fine fishing line for attaching moss if not gluing)

:)

Tools I use In general
-Wave scissors (worth paying extra for decent dennerle or Tropica ones, weighted much better) I found viv a good make in past, never used their scissors though.
-Small tweezers
-Massive dennerle tweezers (amazingly useful, stops you getting your arm wet!)
-Small spring scissors* (use them for most things nowadays, brilliant for trimming carpet plants)
-Normal Tooth brush
-Tooth brush with metal brush bit (£2 for 3 from Wilko) brilliant for cleaning hardscape
1.5m bendy brush for cleaning glassware and filter tubing
-Dennerle cleanator sponge (couldn’t live without it!)
-Big bottles of basic Tesco white bottle bleach (cleaning co2 diffuser and glassware)

*i think Dave at AG still has a pair in his bargain bin for £8 if you are calling him.

Ps. What drop checker did you order from AG? The hang on ones that he has got are nice.
Many thanks, Siege. Put my order in already but will give him a ring tomorrow to add a few more bits scissors, tweezers etc
The drop checker is the one supplied in the kit
https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/aquarium-co2-kit-pro-se-complete-system-673-p.asp
I just watched the Dennerle cleanator sponge in action on youtube. When He started using the wire wool side I was cringing but was amazed it did not make any scratches!

I was thinking of using thin fishing line to attach the java moss. Can it be glued without a problem?

The stick on drop checker in the kit is better because you can move it around depths of the tank.
The hang on ones look much nicer though!

Cleanator sponge is brilliant. Use it all the time. In fact only use the rough side. Especially as I have hard water. Doesn’t mark the glass at all.

Re Moss. Can use fine fishing line or gel superglue (not too much as goes white under water).

Battery operated tooth brush. It’s submersible, can access difficult to reach areas, and focus brushing without disrupting the surroundings.

Battery operated tooth brush. It’s submersible, can access difficult to reach areas, and focus brushing without disrupting the surroundings.

Used one for some time occasionally without an issue

Hello all.
What tools do you recommend for first planting then maintaining the aquascape?
Lots of varying prices out there. I don't want cheap tat but neither do I want to spend money that's not needed.
Cheers

My main tools are a curved-blade pair of scissors and a pair of bent-tip tweezers. They're both invaluable.

Telescopic back scratcher and shrimp net. The back scratcher is great for straightening up entangled plants and smoothing substrate. The shrimp net is good for picking up plant debris. Both are made of aluminum, easy to store, and extendable to great length.

Attachments

• DB3AF28F-B2AC-4379-B5F2-5AD5A2B36609.jpeg
    DB3AF28F-B2AC-4379-B5F2-5AD5A2B36609.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 215
  • CB00BF94-E35A-4DA1-8F7F-282C5D06698C.jpeg
    CB00BF94-E35A-4DA1-8F7F-282C5D06698C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 205
Back