• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations for a small leafed lotus/lily . . .

Stellata seems pretty small to me (for a lily) in my tank they're around 6*8cm

Hi all,
I think @Mick.Dk said that if you grow them low tech. and pinch off all the leaves before they become floating eventually they will dwindle away all together. Mine (in a 60 cmx 30 cm aquarium) recently <"died after ~12 years">, but I just maintained it as <"three floating leaves"> and this kept it under control.

cheers Darrel

I have a dwarf red lily named Nymphaea Rubra. I don't think Rubra is a legitimate species name,

N. Rubra is indeed a common tradename because it's a red-colored lily Rubra is Latin for red. Its official scientific name is N. pubescens :)
From Pubes or Pubis you know the hairs down there we get in Puberty... Not really a neutral common name, it might offend people and that's bad business.

It got this name because it grows distinct hairy stems looking like a bad shaved hairy leg from a comic character. :)

Some N.pubescens cultivars/crossbreeds can have this same feature... Like bellow...
DSCF5121 (Kopie).JPG

Last edited:
a wonderful new waterlily is Nymphaea gardneriana from South America, a bit similar to Nymphaea lotus, much smaller, and it propagates through runners. A few weeks agao I sent plants to Tai Strietman. Perhaps he propagates and distributes it in your country. Christel

a wonderful new waterlily is Nymphaea gardneriana from South America, a bit similar to Nymphaea lotus, much smaller, and it propagates through runners. A few weeks agao I sent plants to Tai Strietman. Perhaps he propagates and distributes it in your country. Christel

Many thanks Christel, would this be the same plant species:

Nice plant, it doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK, and Aquasabi no longer ship here since Brexit, both of which are a shame.

Yeah, its a shame, I always had great service from them. I posted the link more to check if the "Santarem" variety was the same plant, as that is the one I see most mentioned on a Google search.

@Christel I'd be happy to buy one of the plants from you, if you are willing to ship to me. If I can get it to grow runners, then I can then share with other UKAPS members also.

Nymphaea gardneriana

I remember @Edvet (Unfortunately Last seen Feb 2020 - Whats gebeurd?) bought this Nymphaea some time ago at the yearly Vivarium Exposition in the Netherlands. I don't remember any updates on this experiment.

Not long after I found this shop selling it but currently not available... But worthwhile tracking it if you are interested.

I guess it is similar to the Nymphaea Glandulifera, also South American night flowering lily and aquarium suitable, all tho quite a demanding Nymph. It requires high temperatures preferably not below 28°C or maybe less with ample CO² addition. If not met it will suffer and likely fail... I got my very first one from a Discus keeper as a mature plant, even with flower buds. I thought peanuts, but I failed miserably keeping at alive below 28°C. After that, I tried again with a young specimen bought at the shop above but again failed. This actually is the reason why I skipped on buying the Nymphaea gardneriana.

Last edited:
I looked it up, I did get some updates via PM about this lily (almost forgot) it was June 2018 he bought the first batch of N. gardneriana somewhere in Germany and it failed. Later in November 2018, he bought the second batch at the Vivarium expo. And he experimented with increasing light intensity and was more successful.

Here are some pictures of his experiment.

Nov 2018 fresh young batch of N. gardneriana
20181126_112045.jpg

April 2019 with floaters.
20190314_133549.jpg

20190417_105521.jpg

He said more light did the trick with also risking this.

20190328_142545.jpg

How much is more or enough light remains debatable and hard to express in words and numbers? But obviously, it seems to be a light-demanding Nymphaea sp.

Last edited:
Again these are pictures on the UKAPS server... I guess you need to review browser settings... Or UKAPS is doing this? @LondonDragon
The images are not there, either they were not uploaded properly or the files were invalid! You will need to upload them again!
Or you trying to link to images on Conversations which cannot be shared publicly!

The images are not there, either they were not uploaded properly or the files were invalid! You will need to upload them again!
Or you trying to link to images on Conversations which cannot be shared publicly!

Probably the last one as @zozo mentioned they were via a PM.

Presumably he can just copy and paste the physical image, rather that trying to do it via a hyperlink?

Probably the last one as @zozo mentioned they were via a PM.

Presumably he can just copy and paste the physical image, rather that trying to do it via a hyperlink?
He will need to upload the images again to the post on this thread (download the images to the local device and attach them again), images uploaded via PM can only be visible on that PM for security reasons (they are private after all, not even I can see them).

Hi all, since Brexit it is very difficult to send plants to the UK. 1. plants are on the road for a very long time (the 2 plants for Tai Strietman took 14 days and only the small tubers survived), so it is a high risk to send plants and 2. it is not allowed to send live plants without permission (which I don't have). Therefore I cannot do that. But I will be at the Vivarium fair in November 2021 and I could bring a few plants for you. I also had no success the first time I tried the culture. N. gardneriana needs a coarse substrate because the species propagates by runners. I am successful in a separate aquarium with Fluval Stratum, and the top layer is gravel. A Belgian friend has large numbers of this water lily in a discus aquarium - high temperature, soft water, CO2 and only gravel as substrate. From him I got my plants and maybe he can bring more plants to the fair. He likes me :)and surely he will do me the favor (we change plants). Okay? Are any of you coming to Vivarium? Christel

Back