• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Recommendations for 250ltr

Philc

So I've had some time away from plant keeping but I've just ordered a new Oase Skyline 250. This will be the biggest Planted tank I've done by a long shot.

Question is simply what's my light options? I cant break the bank. Ideally looking £150-£200.

The tank is 250ltr, 100x50x50cm. It will run a oase biomaster thermo 250, 900l/h.

I'll be keeping relatively 'easy' plants but would like to try some medium difficulty ones of possible.

I'm wanting to mount or hang the light from a shelf that will be above the tank. Lights need to be low profile. Ideally the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 for looks but I know little about specs.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I'm new to the forum and would love to post updates when I get going.

pat1cp

Not sure if you have the filter already, but from what I've read (mostly on here), that's not enough filtration, though I appreciate all setups differ.

The guideline is roughly 10 times tank capacity per hour, and you're a long way short.

Philc

Not sure if you have the filter already, but from what I've read (mostly on here), that's not enough filtration, though I appreciate all setups differ.

The guideline is roughly 10 times tank capacity per hour, and you're a long way short.
I haven't bought the filter yet so can change if it's necessary. I chose that one as it says upto 250ltrs and once some water is displaced by soil and hardsvape it would fall under 250ltr. Aswell as I only plan on having a shoal of tetras in the tank?

I'll have to do some more research on filtration, as mentioned, this is the first 'large' tank I've kept.

Philc

I agree with the others, invest in a stronger filter. You wont ever regret that.
Are we talking the next one up? Says it's for upto 350ltr tank, 1100 l/h.

Also on the light front, I'm planning a Chihiros 900 wrgb ll slim? That should be ok you think?

Thanks again for the help

Nick potts

For the filter, I would go with the biomaster thermo 600 as a minimum and maybe look as a powerhead for extra flow if needed.

The light will be fine, and will grow most plants. Are you planning on adding CO2?

Last edited:

John q

I used a 1150 lph on a 240l low tech tank and for me it struggled tbh, I'd try and get the next one up again if you can afford it, if not you can always add a wavemaker or power head if needed.

pat1cp

Also on the light front, I'm planning a Chihiros 900 wrgb ll slim? That should be ok you think?

Thanks again for the help
Take all the filter "sizes" with a very generous pinch of salt.

I have the chihirios 600 wrgb II, very pleased with it. Infinately adjustable and the ramp up/down doesn't have your livestock scambling for cover.