• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendation for a miniature emersed fern . . .

Wookii

I have a tiny piece of emergent hardscape on my tank, around 50mm long. It's currently covered in moss, and the wood is covered with water wicking material, so it is always wet.

6497986B-B6F6-4ED6-9A71-88B26E312449.jpeg

I'd like to try and add a small emerged plant to it, ideally some sort of nice feathery fern that grows to (or can be trimmed to maintain) a height of about 100-120mm. Obviously the roots would be constantly wet, but the leaves would need to be bale to cope with the arid air of a centrally heated home.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something that might be suitable?

I have a tiny piece of emergent hardscape on my tank, around 50mm long. It's currently covered in moss, and the wood is covered with water wicking material, so it is always wet.

View attachment 172414

I'd like to try and add a small emerged plant to it, ideally some sort of nice feathery fern that grows to (or can be trimmed to maintain) a height of about 100-120mm. Obviously the roots would be constantly wet, but the leaves would need to be bale to cope with the arid air of a centrally heated home.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something that might be suitable?
Have you considered hygrophila pinnatifida?

Have you considered hygrophila pinnatifida?

I have, and I did have it growing in my tank, but any emersed growth that attempts to make it above the surface just dries to a crisp. I also tried a small Buce off-cut, and that dried to a crisp also.

I've been thinking of trying Ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite/Indian fern). I've seen a lot of people growing it floating with emersed growth. Might need to transition it depending on how it's been grown, before mounting it to it's final location though. I think it has finer foliage in it's immersed form and the broader leaves when emersed.
Apparently it's quite a fast grower, so would probably require regular pruning to stay within 100-120mm.

I've been thinking of trying Ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite/Indian fern). I've seen a lot of people growing it floating with emersed growth. Might need to transition it depending on how it's been grown, before mounting it to it's final location though. I think it has finer foliage in it's immersed form and the broader leaves when emersed.
Apparently it's quite a fast grower, so would probably require regular pruning to stay within 100-120mm.

Thanks Nick, I'll check that one out, it might be a good option.

No idea, you could try in a bowl first. They are pretty cheap (£3-£7 ish) and readily available from places like homebase. Would be a fun little experiment. Make sure you wash all soil off first.

Maybe Selaginella sp. is interesting for you, some like moist conditions. Very popular in the terrarium/paludarium hobby

Pyrrosia is a fern sp. that also has a lot of small climbing fern varieties that you occasionally might find in terrarium shops.

Most small fern sp. you'll find in this family.

Maybe Selaginella sp. is interesting for you, some like moist conditions. Very popular in the terrarium/paludarium hobby

Pyrrosia is a fern sp. that also has a lot of small climbing fern varieties that you occasionally might find in terrarium shops.

Most small fern sp. you'll find in this family.

Thanks @zozo, I'll check those out,

You could try Bolbitis heteroclita ‘Difformis’ @Wookii

It’s bloomin’ useless as an aquatic plant and emersed found it to be pretty tolerant to drier air. If you pull it off it’s also slower growing so could be worth a punt.

Back