• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendation / Advice - Hi-tech 150X60X60 tank - Lighting?

xclone

Seedling
Hello!

I looked around for some lighting options for my new 150X60x60 tank and I am a bit lost and I was hoping to get some advice.

Whilst I cannot afford the ADA Solar RGB, I also do want to get this right and spend what's necessary to have a healthy tank.
I intend to plant some fairly demanding plants like HC and Riccia. I intend to use ADA Amazonia for the top soil layer with crushed lava rock and additives for the base. I intend to use the dry start method.

I was quite close to purchasing the ONF Flat One plus pendant style (2 X 60 cm) but from the few reviews that I found, they don't really work very well at the depth that I need with demanding plants.
I also looked at the Chihiros WRGB II, UNS Titan 1, Kessil A360X Tuna Sun and Twinstar 600SP. I am not very savvy with all the terminology they used but seems like Chihiros would work well for me. I love the shimmering effect that I might get with Kessil but I think I would be spending twice or thrice as much on those compared to the other options.

Are there other options I should be considering? What should I be looking for when I am looking around for lights?

TIA!

Cheers

Alex

If you are looking at Chihiros already, given your tank is deep at 60cm, you might also want to consider the Vivid II - superb controllability of the spectrum, and fantastic colour rendition.

If you are looking at Chihiros already, given your tank is deep at 60cm, you might also want to consider the Vivid II - superb controllability of the spectrum, and fantastic colour rendition.

Thank you guys!

I did look at the VIVID 2 as well but from what I read, they use the same LEDs as the WRGB2. I didn't initially consider VIVID2 because I think the WRGB2 aesthetically looks neater.
One thing going for VIVID2 though is that they are readily available from my preferred retailer. WRGB2 are on preorder.

I have 2 vivid 2s on my 1200 and I love them there an amazing light and very controllable also very powerful mine are suspended from the ceiling so I can adjust the height

Last edited:
Thank you guys!

I did look at the VIVID 2 as well but from what I read, they use the same LEDs as the WRGB2. I didn't initially consider VIVID2 because I think the WRGB2 aesthetically looks neater.
One thing going for VIVID2 though is that they are readily available from my preferred retailer. WRGB2 are on preorder.

The Vivid II uses the same or similar LED’s as the WRGB II, but a lot more of them. I have both units, and the Vivid puts out a lot more light, which you may need at 60cm depth.

As for aesthetic neatness, for me the Vivid wins on that as it’s a physically smaller unit at only 450mm long, and with its power output you can suspend it higher above the tank - you might be okay with two Vivids on your 1500mm tank.

Vivid II:

496A2FA9-068B-4762-93B5-BC86F4F01252.jpeg

With the WRGB II you’d need two 600mm units for enough coverage and likely much lower to the water surface.

WRGB II:

1AB51B0A-6D4A-4ABF-AD36-F59D6546D29B.jpeg

Just put an order in for 2 VIVIDs - I might need to get a third one seeing that my tank is 150cm wide. I figured at least initially while I am in the dry start phase, I can get by with two.

Thank you everyone!!!

Just put an order in for 2 VIVIDs - I might need to get a third one seeing that my tank is 150cm wide. I figured at least initially while I am in the dry start phase, I can get by with two.

Thank you everyone!!!

I went through the same thought process as you, as I originally bought my two Vivids for my 1500mm tank (which for various reasons I haven’t been able to set up yet).

Now I have used one on my 600mm tank, I can see it would easily cover a 750mm wide area, and so two should be plenty for 1500mm tank.

My 600mm tank is only 400mm deep, but running the Vivid on 60% is more than enough light, so I think you’ll still have more than enough light for 600mm deep.

I went through the same thought process as you, as I originally bought my two Vivids for my 1500mm tank (which for various reasons I haven’t been able to set up yet).

Now I have used one on my 600mm tank, I can see it would easily cover a 750mm wide area, and so two should be plenty for 1500mm tank.

My 600mm tank is only 400mm deep, but running the Vivid on 60% is more than enough light, so I think you’ll still have more than enough light for 600mm deep.
That's very reassuring. Not that I was intending to skimp on getting a third unit if I had to, but now that I might not have to, I might invest the money elsewhere. An Apex El controller mayhaps?

Back