• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rebirth (the end)

Re: Rebirth (aponogeton red flower)

there are a couple of people who have removed the bar on a Rio, obviously it's attached by silicone and you'd have to be careful not to scratch the glass, but it has been done. I'm not condoning it though, as i have never done it.

think founder George did it a couple of years ago

yeah i think this is Georges Rio...

80cmblyxahillsqp8.jpg

ianho said:
yeah i think this is Georges Rio...

80cmblyxahillsqp8.jpg

Cheers Ian, and WOW ! Its amazing what you can do with a Juwel tank ! George, if you read this... thats blardy lovely !!!

just a quicky to say thanks for everyone who posted in this journal and found it remotely interesting! lol

i ripped this scape down last week, to try and find a flicker of motivation. Here's a little secret i didn't tell anyone (not that anyone will be bothered!lol), this tank was grow under 2 x 18 watt T8 lights, so very low light. I can also tell you all it has been a really easy tank/scape to work with.

cheers.

ianho said:
just a quicky to say thanks for everyone who posted in this journal and found it remotely interesting! lol

i ripped this scape down last week, to try and find a flicker of motivation. Here's a little secret i didn't tell anyone (not that anyone will be bothered!lol), this tank was grow under 2 x 18 watt T8 lights, so very low light. I can also tell you all it has been a really easy tank/scape to work with.

cheers.

Would love to have seen one final pic before hearing this :( It was a wonderful scape Ian and I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Can I have the hardscaping from it , lol ? I look forward to your next work, and hope that you will make a start soon. I know your new job is taking up a lot of your time, but for you not to resent that (trust me, I worked for the NHS for 12 years so know what I'm talking about hehe) you need your hobbies and private life still :) Get started soon buddy :)

I have a pic but i think i'll use it for the IAPLC. As for the hardscape, i shall be keeping hold of it, i have made the mistake of selling hardscape in the past and wanting to use it again a few months down the line. I have already started something, it's very different from what i'm used to and it's gonna take time to come into it's own. I might pop some pics up at some point in the week. Thanks Chris.

ianho said:
there are a couple of people who have removed the bar on a Rio, obviously it's attached by silicone and you'd have to be careful not to scratch the glass, but it has been done. I'm not condoning it though, as i have never done it.

I have just been doing some hardware upgrading on my Juwel Rio 300 and have taken the rim off. I need to update my post on it - intend to do so this pm. Taking the rim off is REALLY hard work but it can be done. There is loads of black silicon under the rim which needs cut away and then stripped off. I took the view that some bracing would be needed and have a piece of glass running along each side, and one strut across the middle. Having done more research into the matter, the strut across the middle is not necessary. In a smaller tank, I suspect it may not be necessary to put in any supports, but probably still sensible.

My silicone sealant job is rubbish, but it still looks a lot better than that 80's faux wood effect. Will be putting up pics tonight hopefully... "My post is called Removing the Rim of the Jewel Rio", or something like that.

Back