• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rebirth (the end)

Ian Holdich

After watching the triangle style scape and getting bored very quickly, i have decieded to have a little move around. Everything stands the same as previous in the old scape, same wood, same plants, same stock...Mark Evans popped over yesterday and gave a little critique on the old scape, and following some advise, things have been moved. The Christmas moss is going through it's transition, so forgive that. Here goes...

Tank - 80X35X45
Lighting - 2x T8 25w lumiairre
Hardscape - Manzy wood
Substrate - Columbo florabase
Ferts - ADA special lights, Brighty K and ECA
C02 - 1BPS via in tank atomiser
Filtration - Hydor Prime 30
Plants - Crypt Balansae, Vesicularia dubyana , Vesicularia montagnei, Microsorum pteropus, Blyxa, Alternanthera Rosaefolia 'mini', Aponogeton Crispus 'Red', Pogostemon Helferi, staurogyne repens
Livestock - Sphaerichthys Selatanensis, Otos, Cherry shrimp

revis1.jpg

revis3.jpg

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

Re: Rebirth (Ians 80CM)

Cheers mate, the tank looks loads better in real life as well! lol

The Chocs appear to like it as well. On the old scape the stayed very much around the right hand side. They are now all over.

I have got some more shrimp today, i bought some Rednose shrimp from Aquaessentials, they have been acclimatizing for 4 hours and just let in. They are great looking things! I have read in various places they like Brackish waters, however others say not. I thought i'd give em a go...

rednose13.jpg

and also some Anubias Nana added to cover up a few holes and Cryptocoryne Moehlmannii added on the far right.

rednose12.jpg

Ahhh, the king of clear water.

Looking great Ian. Especially the blyxa...Very healthy in real life.

I'm slowly entering into the 'shrimp crowd' too.

I'm slowly entering into the 'shrimp crowd' too.

Thanks for the compliment Mark, and yes the 'shrimp crowd' is a good crowd. There are some really decent shrimp being imported at present. When 'The Aquarium' get the Tiger shrimp in i'll pick you some up.

I kept these shrimps and they died slowly after a 1-2 months. Did not tried again, but they are not doing well in a planted tank on a long term

Apparently they're not long livers anyways, a year max (from what i have read). They are also more robust in Brackish waters, and more delicate in freashwater tanks. We'll see how long they last...i'm touching wood.

Apparently these are the only freshwater shrimp that eat BBA.

All the shrimp are present and correct this morning so nil fatalities over night.

caught this pic whilst doing a water change.

black1.jpg

Black Oto and Choc Gourami.

i like the tank alot, how do you find the co2 atomiser compared to a normal glass diffuser?

how do you find the co2 atomiser compared to a normal glass diffuser?

Thanks for your comment!, i find the in tank atomisers great for diffusion. They are a little ugly, but the bubbles are tiny. I have taken to buying them from Hong Kong now though, they are only a few quid from there. The seals do go on them after a while as well.

Looking great Ian and the fish look very content in the new surroundings, a great pic - well done

Thanks Gary! They do seem to be happier than previous...

I'm sorry for the pic overload (last one for a while i promise), A George esq style child in shot pic lol (ps he is my child lol)

ol1.jpg

That last capture's a beaut, Ian! New arrangements looking pretty sweet :D

Don't stop the pictures on my account, spam away by all means :thumbup:

Thanks Joe!, well here's some more spam!

it's been an interesting day...went out to buy some Amano shrimp and came home with 2 Twig catfish. Great looking things! Earlier in the week i ordered a very cheap Japanese add on lens off of Amazon, it's claims were to do decent macro and also an add on wide angle lens. As i say it was very cheap, so i didn't mind loosing a tenner if it was crap. Well, that lens came today. All of these next pics are taken with it. I'm no pro, so they aren't great, but i think the lens has some potential. I will work on it and keep practising.

Macro on a bit of Java moss

moss1.jpg

Macro on staurogyne repens

moss3.jpg

Macro on a Cherry shrimp

moss2.jpg

Wide angle on the Twig Catfish

moss4.jpg

and wide angle in the room.

moss5.jpg

probably the best ten quid i have spent in ages!

+1 on the fish choice Ian, love farlowella's!

Re: Rebirth (new lens and twigs)

Thanks guys!

These Twig fish are great! Brilliant characters.

added a few stems at the weekend to the back ammania gracilis and hygrophila polysperma 'rosanervig'. It seems to be growing quite nicely at present.

stra1.jpg

cheers for looking.

Hi,
this scape is looking really good and although i liked the triangle layout before it, i feel this layout will look more balanced when filled in as the transitions between the plants will be more gradual and natural looking.
Looks great in the room also.
Ady.

Thanks Ady! Just waiting for those stems to get going! lol

Went out with Mark this morning and he made me buy some more fish! lol

I came home with some Green neon tetras and am well chuffed with them. The gouramis don't seem to be bothered by them either.

Back