• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RCS Dying One by One?

CrazyCory42

Hiya,

For about maybe 2 weeks now I’ve noticed a steady decline in the number of Red Cherry shrimp in my tank. Every other day or so I’ll find a dead body; different sizes, males & females.
Nothing’s changed in the tank. All the other inhabitants are doing great. The shrimp are breeding and active.
I’m stumped to what it could be. At first I thought my betta was picking them off, but then I saw one today struggling to swim with the betta no where near. So I do think is more a tank issue than an incompatibility issue.

Tank Specs:
100L tank (36”L x 12”D x 15”H)
Fluval U3 Filter
24 - 25C
50% weekly water change (seachem prime)
Stocking:
1 female betta
6 harlequin Rasboras
18 false julii corys (7 adults 11 juvis under 3cm - they’re breeding for England 🙈 I need to find homes for the babies when they get a bit bigger)
20+ something RCS - they’re also breeding for England.

Water quality
Ammonia 0
NO3 40 (Tap water sits at 40ppm)
NO2 0
GH 8
KH 6
pH 7.2
CI2 0

640D28B5-9584-488C-90DD-95743971B1A8.jpeg

My main suspicion would also be the betta, is it possible the shrimp you saw struggling had been assaulted by her earlier, before you noticed his odd behaviour?
Perhaps but I did also have shrimp dying before the betta was added. It’s perhaps increased slightly since she’s been in. I’ve not particularly seen bother the shrimp though 🤔

Make sure kH/GH are compatible with the shrimp; sometimes causes moulting issues.

Is it possible that adult shrimp or babies are being drawn into the filter? Rasboras,Betta,Corydoras will all readily snack on Adult shrimps and Fry alike .

Back