• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RCS advice - Epsom Salts, Iron, and Water Changes

Anomander

Hello all,

I have recently bought eight RCS for my tank which was planted c. 10 weeks ago (tank parameters below). I just have two questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me with:

1) Am I still ok to continue dosing my tank with Westlab Epsom Salts and TNC Iron (amounts listed below) - are these shrimp safe?

2) Do I need to adjust my water changes? Currently I am doing 50% once per week, but I was wondering if this would be too much of a shock to the system for the shrimp?

Thanks very much for any advice or information.

Tank Parameters
  • 60ish litres
  • 7.5 hrs light (regular 8w LED that came with Ciano Aqua 80)
  • Hard North London water
  • Ferts per week
    • 6ml TNC Complete (split into two 3ml doses)
    • 1.5-2g Epsom salts (to reach a full dose target of 3.5ppm);
    • 1ml TNC Iron (half-dose relative to a full dose target of 0.2ppm).
  • Unipac Silver Sand substrate
  • Two Aquael Mini Pat filters, one in the back corner with a Venturi and duck-bill pointed towards the surface, the other in the opposite corner of the tank to create a circular flow
  • Planted with various Anubias species, Java Fern, Salvinia Auriculata and some Java Moss. I have air-tubing to create a space for surface agitation and to keep floaters away - this open space is about 30% of tank's surface area and is quite choppy.

1) Am I still ok to continue dosing my tank with Westlab Epsom Salts and TNC Iron (amounts listed below) - are these shrimp safe?

They are shrimp safe, but you ideally want to swap the TNC Iron out for TNC complete, and you are not dosing a decent number of the micro and macro nutrients require for plant growth.

EDIT: Scratch that, just seen you are dosing TNC Complete already. Both are fine for shrimp.

2) Do I need to adjust my water changes? Currently I am doing 50% once per week, but I was wondering if this would be too much of a shock to the system for the shrimp?

In a low tech shrimp tank you could happily get away with fewer water changes. Whether water changes affect your shrimp, it depends on how delicate a species they are. For RCS, they should be fine, for more delicate Caridina maybe more caution is the safer option. If you have any concerns though, just split the water change and do it twice per per week.

In a low tech shrimp tank you could happily get away with fewer water changes. Whether water changes affect your shrimp, it depends on how delicate a species they are. For RCS, they should be fine, for more delicate Caridina maybe more caution is the safer option. If you have any concerns though, just split the water change and do it twice per per week.
Thank you for your information - I will continue dosing the Epsom and Iron.

I might change my WC to 25% twice a week as well. Ideally I would drip the new tank water back in gradually, but due to my setup I am not be able to get a container of water above the water level of the tank.

Back