• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ratel- Giant PK Betta Rescue - RIP:(

Gill

So I was offered this bett as a rescue, And I cant say no to Giants. Standard PK color.
He is a Tatty looking fish with messed up finnage. Can see that he has been neglected alot and was being kept in a Penplax 0.5L Critter Keeper. Finnage is messed up from being shredded on the stupid littel hard plastic palm tree that was in the critter keeper. So his finnagehas grown back messed up with breaks in the Branching.

He is a Bruiser of a fish.

I have housed him for now in a Cocktail bowl. ANd for the timebeing this is best. As it is round and nothing to bump into. Chucked in the Plants left over from CU. And added mature water. And Shredded some IAL. ANd left him to it. Have added a few snails for him to be occupied with. Certianly did not like them the 1st day. Now just bites at them occasonally.
Feeding him on NT Labs Priobiotic and Betta Pellets. and the odd Guppy fry when I see one (for enrichment).

Good save. Interested to see a picture of the before and how he recovers.

Can you fix the fins? I've seen koi have their fins snipped to recover them but don't fancy trying it myself, or will they improve a little with better husbandry.

Hi mate. If the fin damage is bad.
You can put the koi to sleep with cloves for teeth. From chemists.
Then trim with scissor s. Then make a

Potassium permanganate(PP) paste in an egg cup. And apply to cautasau the wound.
Being careful to only putting it on fins. I have done this a few times
If you read my threads. Its all there how to do it. Also if fins are split. Dry off and you can use super glue.
Just a small dot of glue. Nice to see some photos of the fish

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys,

Yes fred, If i Thought his finnage was worth it. I would certainly Operate. I used to be a Veterinary Nurse, and have performed finnage alterations on Damaged fish in the past.
Clove oil certainly does work the best. And a Very Sharp Scalpel.I prefer to put them into a steel dish with a Wet Paper towel covering them, so that they dont flop about..Alter the finnage, And then Betadine painted onto the finnage to minimise infection.
For him though it is not worth it, as he has ALOT of lesions and a few raised scales. So Dont hold much of him living long TBH.
For Now Lots of IAL is best and Good Food.

Ratel
He has a lot of lesions on his head just above his mouth and eyes.
His Body without the Finnage is just over 2.5 inches.
67007b6f3708b55bd28003cd0af2f00a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cheers, I have been keeping fighters for as long as I can remember. My 1st one was purchased in a ferrerro rocher box in Shilton back in the early 90's.
The lesiosn were a little fuzzy to begin with, but have improved alot today.
Have added lighting to the Cube using an LED Strip. just so that I can see him a little better.

Best of luck with the fish gill. And nice to know you have vet skills mate. All the best mate. Fingers crossed for your fish

have you looked at him this morning. how s he coming along

Coloration has improved, and the fuzziness to the lesions has gone. Lesions not so White now, scales showing more natural blue color.
Eating well, There are shrimplets in there with him, so he will have fun catching them. Watched them flitting about the moss balls.
Gave him a guppy fry this morning and it was eaten with gusto. And he has eaten 2 more snails.
Going to catch some adult brine shrimp and daphnia for him to eat once the rain lets up today.

I am trying to get him used to the tweezers, so that he knows that means something juicy to eat.

Nice one gill good to hear he is perking up.

I had one of my koi with hypothermia last week. Netted it and put it in my qt. With 0.6 salt and 23c took about 8 hours for it to come around. Did scrapes and microscope. No bugs.

Breaks my heart the careless, thoughtless way fish are so often treated. Always brings to mind that very, very true statement ''Just because it can not speak, does not mean that it can not suffer''. I hope the little guy keeps on healing and gets to live the happy life he is so very worthy of. Hope the other fishes recover well also!

Had ordered a Female for him yesterday, and this morning he was Dead. Was Fine yesterday beating up the snails, and hunting guppy fry. This Morning Covered head to tail in a thick layer of Fungus. The Right side of him was worse, where the initial lumps were.
Have bleached the tank and left to dry.

Back